Guidewire

www.guidewire.com
  www.guidewire.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Working with good people on difficult problems

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Guidewire has really good people with a culture of working together well. There's a lot of respect between different departments so as a developer you know that the product managers and project managers will work with you to solve problems, and will trust your judgement on technical issues and estimates. There's a big emphasis on getting work done without any politics. If problems come up the attitude is always how can we fix it and prevent it in the future, never who can we blame.

Cons

Guidewire has a lot of proprietary technology, which is a mixed blessing. It means you can work on technology you might not get to work on elsewhere but also means it's harder to use some of the newer tools

326 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

Cons

Sometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Involve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.

Still loving Guidewire after 5 years of working there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In 25 plus years of working in tech, I can honestly say this is the first company I've worked for where I know its core values (collegiality, rationality, integrity) and believe that management and staff alike abide by them. I know it sounds corny, but we are collegial to the max. You never hear anyone say "that's not my job." I also fully trust our executive team. Marcus, the CEO, is brilliant and definitely a leader with integrity.

We've had some instances where a person in a manager role wasn't doing a great job. In most companies, that person would simply be let go. At Guidewire, I know of a couple of cases where former managers were invited to step into individual contributor roles instead of leaving the company. I really value this flexibility.

Cons

I can't think of many cons. Sometimes Guidewire is slow to let someone go who isn't doing his/her job well and is not a good fit for the company. On a minor note, I disapprove of our jury duty policy: we're given just 3 days reimbursement for jury duty. I feel this discourages employees from doing their civic duty.

Keep on doing what you're doing now!

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire