There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Shipping quality code at a sustainable pace

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The code you write ships. Priorities are stable, you know what you'll be working on tomorrow. Good planning and high quality reduce crunch time and fires. Strong product management team does a great job defining and prioritizing work.

Cons

Two-year release cycle. Not-invented-here syndrome. Decade-old libraries and frameworks. The lack of modern architecture makes it difficult for high-skilled engineers to apply their knowledge.

Advice to Management

The sustainable pace of development and stable priorities are big assets, continue to protect them. Customers may not care about decade-old technology and a home-grown stack, but engineers like to maintain their marketability.

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

Very smart people working well together with a clear vision.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very rational decision decision making about organization and product. Very friendly people who are generally able to provide helpful opinions and criticism with the understanding we're on the same team working to the same goal. The management structure is relatively flat with enough coordination so the applications work well together and the company has a singular vision.

Cons

The worst part of my job is commuting to Foster City. It takes too long, is difficult traffic, and there's very few lunch options within walking distance.

Amazing commitment to customer success without burning out employees.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and disciplined coworkers. Products that customers love. Minimal corporate politics. Plentiful social events. Great salary and benefits. And it turns out that insurance is a more interesting domain that I expected it to be.

Cons

This is enterprise software for very conservative customers, so we have rather long release cycles (2 years between InsuranceSuite 7 and 8) compared to other places I've worked.