Guidewire

www.guidewire.com

A terrible place to work for non-technical folks

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsDespite the title, it is a good place to work if you fit the following profile:

* In product development
* Can grow your career on your own, without help.
* You highly value your family or social life, so the flexible low-pressure environment is attractive.
* Want to have smart people working with you as peers.

Read more about this in other reviews.

ConsWhile our CEO in direct interactions treats us with respect, he does not enforce this with his VPs and Directors so company culture and values vary highly from department to department.

We are clearly valued based on our role, which makes sense in some regard. Due to inconsistent values and culture however, this plays out as an extreme here. The lowest paid roles are really valued near zero. Stock may be non-existent. So you may want to consider working as a sales clerk at your nearest mall instead.

Management training has started recently, but they aren't too far so don't expect help from management generally. Providing career growth is still on the backlog is not yet a serious priority for HR. Why does this matter? Because Guidewire generally hasn't invested in career growth, they don't know what they have. So as they need more specialists, they hire them in and layoff the employees that want to grow but haven't had any guidance. Rinse, repeat. As stated before, this varies by department.

Our CEO and VPs are generally not experienced people managers and don't always realize the impact their decisions make on their teams.

This all varies widely by department, product development is a great place to work! I don't know about Sales or Professional Services. If you are both non-technical and non-customer facing though... seriously consider other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the environment you would want to work, and then strive to create that for everyone. You may have to pay for a better work environment, but it will pay you back many times over when most your employees can feel good about working here!

Great Company

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: One of the best companies I've ever worked for in the Bay Area. They… Cons: Haven't run into any yet. Been here over 5 years. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good Product, Bad Services Management

Senior Implementation Architect (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time for less than a year

Pros: Product: As many have attested the product is second to none in the insurance industry. It is an "ecosystem" in its own right. Hence,… Cons: I was a true believer of these fore-mentioned values and that all the organization is moving forward based on these values. Unfortunately, the manner… Advice to Senior Management: Next set of layoffs (which I hope you never have to do) conduct them performance based. If this last… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Guidewire.

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!