There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

A terrible place to work for non-technical folks

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Despite the title, it is a good place to work if you fit the following profile:

* In product development
* Can grow your career on your own, without help.
* You highly value your family or social life, so the flexible low-pressure environment is attractive.
* Want to have smart people working with you as peers.

Read more about this in other reviews.

Cons

While our CEO in direct interactions treats us with respect, he does not enforce this with his VPs and Directors so company culture and values vary highly from department to department.

We are clearly valued based on our role, which makes sense in some regard. Due to inconsistent values and culture however, this plays out as an extreme here. The lowest paid roles are really valued near zero. Stock may be non-existent. So you may want to consider working as a sales clerk at your nearest mall instead.

Management training has started recently, but they aren't too far so don't expect help from management generally. Providing career growth is still on the backlog is not yet a serious priority for HR. Why does this matter? Because Guidewire generally hasn't invested in career growth, they don't know what they have. So as they need more specialists, they hire them in and layoff the employees that want to grow but haven't had any guidance. Rinse, repeat. As stated before, this varies by department.

Our CEO and VPs are generally not experienced people managers and don't always realize the impact their decisions make on their teams.

This all varies widely by department, product development is a great place to work! I don't know about Sales or Professional Services. If you are both non-technical and non-customer facing though... seriously consider other opportunities.

Consider the environment you would want to work, and then strive to create that for everyone. You may have to pay for a better work environment, but it will pay you back many times over when most your employees can feel good about working here!

270 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

Great Company

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best companies I've ever worked for in the Bay Area. They know how to treat people hence employees. The vibe at work is a niche.

Cons

Haven't run into any yet. Been here over 5 years.

Good Product, Bad Services Management

Former Employee - Senior Implementation Architect  in  Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Implementation Architect in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time for less than a year

Pros

Product:
    As many have attested the product is second to none in the insurance industry. It is an "ecosystem" in its own right. Hence, why it is so extensible and can meet differing client's requirements with relative ease.

Benefits:
    The stock plan is great if you stay with the company on the long run. They are increasing the 401K contribution which makes it a tad better but they still need to work on it.

CEO:
    Marcus is brilliant! He has led a very successful IPO, the obvious metric is the stock price here :). He adheres to a set of values (Integrity, Rationality, Collegiality) and from the day one joins, they are promoting these values.

Cons

I was a true believer of these fore-mentioned values and that all the organization is moving forward based on these values. Unfortunately, the manner the recent layoffs took place has shaken my belief! Here's where rationality broke down IMHO:

1) Layoffs were not performance based! Instead, it was last in first out--who does this anymore? As another reviewer mentioned management could have found those under-performing with a little extra effort and achieve their 5% layoff target.

2) They kept hiring in the services dept. outside of Europe (Europe was not affected in the layoffs and they are still hiring there) until end of Spring! Someone, truly made a mistake which turned into an "emergency" for those who lost their positions--many of us had to move to new geographic locations months before!

3) Not involving lower management is another mistake! Lower management know the quality of work their subordinates are capable of. By laying off in a fist-in-last-out basis you (1) promote that no-one is safe even if they are over-performing and (2) those who are left behind are left to work with possible under-performing colleagues. The irrationality of this layoff is obvious to me at least.

4) Having positions available advertised that very same morning the layoffs took place and still not attempting to relocate some of those affected is downright wrong.

5) We had the services event, in mid-August, where ~550 individuals from all over the world was flown over to San Fransisco. How many positions would have been saved if you had canceled it?!

Next set of layoffs (which I hope you never have to do) conduct them performance based. If this last layoff was performance based you should have layed off yourself first, considering you overhired and you messed up the layoff!

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!