Still loving Guidewire after 5 years of working there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In 25 plus years of working in tech, I can honestly say this is the first company I've worked for where I know its core values (collegiality, rationality, integrity) and believe that management and staff alike abide by them. I know it sounds corny, but we are collegial to the max. You never hear anyone say "that's not my job." I also fully trust our executive team. Marcus, the CEO, is brilliant and definitely a leader with integrity. We've had some instances where a person in a manager role wasn't doing a great job. In most companies, that person would simply be let go. At Guidewire, I know of a couple of cases where former managers were invited to step into individual contributor roles instead of leaving the company. I really value this flexibility.

Cons

I can't think of many cons. Sometimes Guidewire is slow to let someone go who isn't doing his/her job well and is not a good fit for the company. On a minor note, I disapprove of our jury duty policy: we're given just 3 days reimbursement for jury duty. I feel this discourages employees from doing their civic duty.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing now!

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

1. Great company to work, stocks are always up, values it's employees!

Current Employee - Office Manager in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Exton, PA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Company! Secure, competitive pay, great benefits, excellent values, cares about it's employees, upper management is approachable which is rare but so especially nice about this company!

Cons

I haven't found any cons yet as everything has been positive for me thus far. It has been a wonderful experience, the people are unusually great everywhere, all willing to help, answer questions, train, allowing room for advancement etc.

Advice to Management

I feel so blessed to have been provided the opportunity to become a Guidewire employee. Keep up the great work!

I've learned an immeasurable amount working with brilliant people on complex problems.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive & collaborative environment, without any micromanagement. Opportunity to change teams to match interests.

Cons

As a SF dweller without a car, the location isn't ideal, but it's bikeable.

Advice to Management

Try to keep resisting investor pressure - the company's done fine. And focus on increasing the engineer diversity - between product managers, QA, and other roles the dev floor looks diverse, but the engineers are less diverse than they could be.