There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

A good place to work and grow

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of talented developers.
An actually useful review process.
A fun environment.
Good forums for feedback to management.
The CEO responds to email.
Developers are treated well.
Working at home for part of the time is okay.
Teamwork is highly valued.
There are opportunities to get trained, and a lot of people form study groups.
Everybody is very collegial and helpful; if you ask for help they won't leave you until the problem is solved.

Cons

No free lunch - it is a bit of a pain to get lunch every day.
There is a bit of a separation of the dev and the non-dev part. Not a lot of mixing is going on the devs actually work in a separate building.
The good management sometimes leads to inflexible budgets. Everything is planned and if you want to add later there has to be a real good explanation.

Share some more of the fruits of success with the workers.
Keep and keep improving the open communication between management and devs.
Make training more accessible.

310 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

Cons

Sometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Involve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.

Still loving Guidewire after 5 years of working there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In 25 plus years of working in tech, I can honestly say this is the first company I've worked for where I know its core values (collegiality, rationality, integrity) and believe that management and staff alike abide by them. I know it sounds corny, but we are collegial to the max. You never hear anyone say "that's not my job." I also fully trust our executive team. Marcus, the CEO, is brilliant and definitely a leader with integrity.

We've had some instances where a person in a manager role wasn't doing a great job. In most companies, that person would simply be let go. At Guidewire, I know of a couple of cases where former managers were invited to step into individual contributor roles instead of leaving the company. I really value this flexibility.

Cons

I can't think of many cons. Sometimes Guidewire is slow to let someone go who isn't doing his/her job well and is not a good fit for the company. On a minor note, I disapprove of our jury duty policy: we're given just 3 days reimbursement for jury duty. I feel this discourages employees from doing their civic duty.

Keep on doing what you're doing now!

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire