There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Best company worked for, period!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart colleagues that are also always willing to help... just ask! Leadership thinks rationally and focuses on real use cases rather than someone's whims and fancies. At the same time, there is willingness to stretch limits of what enterprise software can do! You can literally feel that these folks have a passion to serve the P&C insurance industry!
Work hours are flexible and working from home is okay, but working in office is so much fun I cannot think of working from home more than a day a week. Lots of freedom along with accountability. These folks take software quality very very seriously. There are code clean up days organized, and pair programming encouraged! Truly agile workplace. You are not only allowed but even encouraged to try out different roles and/or teams, rather than stagnate in the same role for years.

Cons

No free lunch like Google/Facebook. This would be a nice addition however this is not a deal breaker.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on rationality, but continue to be willing to re-define what "reasonable" means!

reviews filtered by

Best job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Senior Curriculum Developer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Curriculum Developer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on challenging projects, with interesting people, for a company that knows what it's doing and makes a profitable product. What's not to like?

Cons

There really isn't much downside. Sometimes I think management could give me a little bit more direction, but that's about it. Oh, and the toilet paper is neither absorbent, soft, nor strong, which is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Expand the product line. We could make a bundle off health and life insurance.

2. The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

Cons

Sometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Advice to Management

Involve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.