Guidewire

www.guidewire.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Best company worked for, period!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart colleagues that are also always willing to help... just ask! Leadership thinks rationally and focuses on real use cases rather than someone's whims and fancies. At the same time, there is willingness to stretch limits of what enterprise software can do! You can literally feel that these folks have a passion to serve the P&C insurance industry!
Work hours are flexible and working from home is okay, but working in office is so much fun I cannot think of working from home more than a day a week. Lots of freedom along with accountability. These folks take software quality very very seriously. There are code clean up days organized, and pair programming encouraged! Truly agile workplace. You are not only allowed but even encouraged to try out different roles and/or teams, rather than stagnate in the same role for years.

Cons

No free lunch like Google/Facebook. This would be a nice addition however this is not a deal breaker.

Keep the focus on rationality, but continue to be willing to re-define what "reasonable" means!

332 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

Best job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Senior Curriculum Developer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Curriculum Developer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working on challenging projects, with interesting people, for a company that knows what it's doing and makes a profitable product. What's not to like?

Cons

There really isn't much downside. Sometimes I think management could give me a little bit more direction, but that's about it. Oh, and the toilet paper is neither absorbent, soft, nor strong, which is ridiculous.

Expand the product line. We could make a bundle off health and life insurance.

Shipping quality code at a sustainable pace

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The code you write ships. Priorities are stable, you know what you'll be working on tomorrow. Good planning and high quality reduce crunch time and fires. Strong product management team does a great job defining and prioritizing work.

Cons

Two-year release cycle. Not-invented-here syndrome. Decade-old libraries and frameworks. The lack of modern architecture makes it difficult for high-skilled engineers to apply their knowledge.

The sustainable pace of development and stable priorities are big assets, continue to protect them. Customers may not care about decade-old technology and a home-grown stack, but engineers like to maintain their marketability.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire