Guidewire

Come work for us

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

A brilliant organization with clear goals and very satisfied customers. Ask anyone how often ex-employees come back within a year or less.

Cons

Perennially understaffed. We can't seem to find people of the caliber we'd expect at this level

We are a very serious bunch. Lets have fun sometimes.

328 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

Excellent Product, Employees and Company

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guidewire

Pros

Guidewire is a financially solid software company that has taken on a tough market and performed very well. The culture is very "no nonsense" but the atmosphere is very collegial and there is not a sense of a strict hierarchy. The development organization is very innovative.

Cons

The marketing group at Guidewire is very traditional in their approach. The innovation that you see in development does not exist in marketing. That said, the group is talented and produces quality materials.

Although a tight focus on results is important for a successful company, it is also important to make sure that employees are enthusiastic about their work. While I think this is understood by the execs in development, it is less so in other departments.

Great Place

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Guidewire is a pretty special place. Great technology, a lot of people who really care about building software that works, and a lot of practicality. Bullsh*t doesn't fly here: there is a lot of skepticism around things that make other organizations starry-eyed. Pragmatic applications of unit testing is a good example: we test much better than most organizations, but we recognize there isn't a silver bullet out there, and testing is no substitute for good architecture. We also don't let pure architects exist: if you've got an opinion on something you better damned well be writing code for it.

Best crew I've ever worked with.

Cons

We do roll a lot of our own technologies. That can be bad if you want to add the latest J2EE acronyms to your resume. But if you are a general technologist, it is a pretty fun environment. We've got our own langauge, web layer, OR layer, etc. All of it is done pretty well, when compared with the usual J2EE garbage, anyway.

We are also tribalizing a bit as we get larger. Probably not much that can be done about that.

Good developers like to work at startups, where they can make bit contributions and where the culture is lightweight and innovation friendly. We should stay like that.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire