There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Lots of smart people but over-politicized

Current Employee - Development Leadership in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Development Leadership in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I respected 60-70% of the people I work with but the rest are either dead weight or playing unnecessary politics.

On an average I work 50-55 hours a week, which compared to what I was doing earlier is pretty good. In fact I think I'm probably at the higher end in my group... this speaks to good work-life balance.

Oh the alternate day bagels were nice.

Cons

Here are some of the biggest challenges at Guidewire:

1. The technology platform is prehistoric and developing quality applications rapidly is close to impossible
2. The learning curve is incredibly steep for engineers, consultants and customers
3. The general apathy towards investing in existing products and chasing down new revenue opportunities
4. Any group not involved in new revenue opportunities is largely ignored, even though we're the bread and butter of the organization
5. The leadership in Engineering, Marketing and Services don't seem to have management experience and don't realize the far reaching implications of decisions
6. The significant amount of mistrust between product teams is pretty astounding.
7. The PMO organization is over-empowered neutering Engineering and Product Management to some extent
8. Complete lack of trust in the QA organization
9. Software is delivered with a significant number of critical bugs

I ran into most of these issues as a cross functional leader engaged with number of these groups. I've been at Guidewire for a long time and I've seen the culture that was in place set firmly aside, which included innovation and agility.

I been getting quite disappointed with the change in culture and am not sure how long I'll stay. I will try to work on some of these issues, but some are (as they say in the movies) beyond my pay grade.

I'm not the only one who feels this way and unless the leadership starts to institute changes like career development, personal growth, recognizing hard work, you'll see loyal people start to leave.

reviews filtered by

Great summer internship with Guidewire

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Guidewire has a great company culture, with very little managerial hierarchy. I worked as an intern and was immediately welcomed by my team

Cons

The product can be a little confusing for those who are not software developers

Keep it up!

Great company...

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior leadership is outstanding. Good compensation. Overall great workforce. Market leader in P&C technology space.

Cons

Consultants tend to be disconnected from their direct manager. Very little mentorship.

Stop talking about mentoring and do it.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire