There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

1 year in, still feeling good about my decision.

Current Employee - Integration Architect in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Integration Architect in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Unequivocally, it's the people. Everyone helps. All you have to do is ask.

Cons

In pro services, we travel. The travel is not all that bad for me. It's where you have to go when you work in the insurance industry. Think cold and gray winters in the northeast and the northern mid-west.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Excellent place to work with smart colleagues

Current Employee - Development in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Development in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

- Smart and fun folks - Complex problems to solve - Customers love us - Adapting agile practices for enterprise software - Selling with integrity and product driven - Flat organizational structure despite consistent growth

Cons

Guidewire focuses on Property & Casualty Insurance core systems which we don't kid ourselves in thinking is the sexiest industry. However, there are real and sophisticated problems that we solve with our solutions and are used everyday by a large and global user base.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and while the recent changes have been good, the execution is a little rushed (we're bigger than we used to be).

2. Exceptionally smart people with a rational approach to building insurance software

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Guidewire has some incredibly smart people on staff and the company has built some really great software. They listen to their customers about what the products are missing or could do better and iterate the products accordingly. Not a lot of bureaucracy - the basic principle is "treat this as if it were your own money". Your future is in your own hands at Guidewire - career growth and work/life balance.

Cons

The lack of structure (see the pro: your future is in your hands) can be a hindrance to some folks, the company needs to be able to recognize these folks and help them along. The small company feel is rapidly dissipating but there is no real culture to replace it.

Advice to Management

In Services, the Program Manager role could benefit from some formalized management training. Right now, we do not have consistency in approach across all the program mangers, as they are left to their own devices. From listening to questions during company meetings and reading the reviews on this site, there seems to be a divergence in attitude between Dev and Services. We need to find ways to bring these two groups back together in spirit.