Guitar Center
www.guitarcenter.com Westlake Village, CA 5000+ Employees

It's an good first step for some musicians, and an ok stable job if you're in the right place

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for less than a year

Pros-Good enviornment for musicians (especially if they need equipment)
-Great benefits
-If an employee needs to leave for an extended period (up to 90 days), he/she will still have a job once they have returned

Cons-If you start off in the wrong department or work in a slow environment, don't expect to exceed minimum wage until you've been promoted all the way up to assistant manager.
-Sales expectations are pretty high and somewhat unrealistic unless you're cutthroat about commission (or work in pro audio)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore realistic sales goals for those selling different items. I haven't seen anyone make over the set sales goal when they're selling one pack of strings at a time rather than one guitar or one PA system at a time.

The Walmart of the Music World.

Sales (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Being around a lot of cool people. Thats really about… Cons: Its a JOKE of a company. Minimum pay for a… Advice to Senior Management: Pay accordingly No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A step backward in your career path unless you are in it strictly for the passion.

Pro Audio Specialist (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Guitar Center part-time for more than a year

Pros: Buying wholesale equipment is a pro, especially if you are… Cons: Terrible business model. Bad in store management. Negative atmosphere designed… Advice to Senior Management: Care about the people who work there strictly out of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Guitar Center.

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guitar Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guitar Center CEO Mike Pratt. All reviews posted anonymously by Guitar Center employees.