There are newer employer reviews for Guitar Center

Fun environment to work, terrible "commission"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Chattanooga, TN
Former Employee - Department Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. You will meet lots of cool people with tons of musical knowledge. You get pretty decent discounts on all the gear and learn more than you can imagine (mandatory) about musical equipment.

Cons

You work EVERY holiday. They are biased towards religious people and their holidays, the commission is smoke and mirrors unless you work in the ProAudio dept. I made $10,000 in one year, working 35 hours a week, including commission, and I sold Gibson Les Pauls and PRS guitars all day long.

Advice to Management

Cut out that crappy commission, and pay your employees a decent salary. Quit promoting kids to do the job of adults, quit shoving the corporate rules down everyones throats daily.

reviews filtered by

Avoid at all cost

Former Employee - Former IT Leadership Westlake Village in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

discounts on merchandise. Good comradere. The ability to learn new technologies and drive new projects

Cons

dismall benefits. Bought by Bain Capitol in 2007 all downhill from there. Outsourced to incompetent East Indian IT. Freeze on raises for years. increase in management at mid to top levels. Way to many Directors and VPs, its laughable. All corporate events cut or scaled back. I could go on and on

Advice to Management

pointless, they do not listen

Guitarmart here we come.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun loose Work Culture. Discounts for Musicians, opportunities for networking. GAIN opportunities which have deeper discounts and Gig/ promotional references for your band.

Cons

Since the buyout, the changes have been all over the place, and mostly for the worse. They have lowered our hours to part-time status from most companies' regulation standards. Removed management bonus incentives which have created an unfair compensation for the extra work.
    Too many new stores has drained each store of customer base already spread thin by lack of floor coverage. (Customers walking out from not being helped in a proper employee to customer ratio.)

Advice to Management

More Compensation to the store level. More accurate Goal Numbers and Hours for employees. Return to the Values you say you stand for.