Guitar Center
www.guitarcenter.com Westlake Village, CA 5000+ Employees

GC Garage not so good for good techs.

GC Garage Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

ProsYou get to help people with problems. You get to do what you're good at. Usually cool co-workers. Most of the techs are really highly competent despite the universal notion that anybody who works at GC can only be a buffoon.

Cons1. Repair techs are in SALES as much as any commissioned sales floor guy. The fade system for techs--you are required to be 'cost neutral' by charging enough per month to cover your hourly pay. If you don't have enough customers coming in or the repairs they need are not expensive enough to hit those numbers, you have a big employment problem. In order to make this amount, you are required to continually be 'upselling' repairs and upgrades that the customer may not need or want. 2. The hands-on training is terrible and absolutely insufficient. A two day seminar at a hotel is the extent of training for fretwork, bracing, cracks, reglue, etc. The rest is by 1-3 page PDF documents. I was sent a powerful and dangerous router and, with no training whatsoever, told to rout holes in a board and send in pictures. I did and now I'm 'A Level Certified' to go to town on your Les Paul. If you contact one of the three program managers with a question, your likely response from two of them will be "Really?" punctuated with a sigh. The third will basically chew you out for calling him instead of one of the others. Finally, point 3. The embarrassment of telling other local and respected techs and luthiers that you do the same thing as them, but at Guitar Center -- it's like telling jet mechanics that you pump gas at Wal-Mart, no matter how good you may actually be. Not a good thing should you try to find local employment in the instrument repair field after after GC dismisses you, which they will.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the Tech just help the customer make music by doing the needed work without having his job hanging over his head to hit a certain sales number...take it as an expense of providing top notch customer service. Like every other repair industry.
Real actual training. Less cynicism from the GC Garage management team.

Commission Sales

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: You get to talk about gear all day and the atmosphere is generally relaxed. You can easily move up in the company if you are… Cons: You are subject to the scheduling needs of the store.… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to focus on service-focused sales. – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great learning experience

Sales Training Manager (Former Employee)
Florence, KY

I worked at Guitar Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: when I was on the sales floor I made great money, met a lot of people, and… Cons: Promotions and additional responsibilities dont necessarily guarantee a pay raise.… Advice to Senior Management: You will retain more quality associates when you pay store… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Guitar Center.

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guitar Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Guitar Center CEO Mike Pratt. All reviews posted anonymously by Guitar Center employees.