There are newer employer reviews for Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Managers perceive to be fair with limited resources. Politics overshadow results.

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Employee work hard for one goal: patient care. To be successful an employees must give themselves to the organization and forget about their life work balance.

Cons

Due healthcare reform, benefits will be limited therefore healthcare will have a hard time finding the best talent.

Be more open to hiring other managers other then nurses.

reviews filtered by
  1. Its not its all hyped up to be

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

That you are employed and have an income thats about all I can think of at this point in time

Cons

Greed is rearing its ugly head. They are always emphasizing the importance of the patients but they dont stop and think the employees are a big percentage of their patients

Excellent Pension Benefits and Good salary, but...

Current Employee - Family Physician
    Current Employee - Family Physician

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

Pros

Patient Care paramount to system.
    Ethics are strong.
    Believe in their Mission and Values.
    Specialists are very knowledgable and very accessible.
    Excellent Clinical Guideline sources from specialities.
    Multiple Awards for Excellence in Medicine given to System.
    Low turnover, but that was changing.
    Adequate CME allowance, but not if used for High travel or hotel cost CME events.
    Business Expenses covered, probably usual amount. I did not use very often.
    Job offer comes quickly if offered.

Cons

Communication poor, although listed as very important. Tons of email once employed, but few of real value to a physician, ie. a lot of IT advisements, or general staff advisements.
    Understaffed, but may be OK in Main Center. Trending to a lot of MA's vs nurses, with very limited abilities related to their lack of education in nursing knowledge. They make poor nurse replacements and therefore poor helpmeets for physicians. Some can be outstanding, but you know they are not going to stay an MA for long.
    Vacation and CME time per usual, but very limited ability to take that time, with increasing restrictions on when one can use it, and then if not used, it disappears.
    Heavy emphasis on Leadership ability and being a Leader, but no time allowances for it. It all must be done on own time.
    Education offered but again own time used.
    No travel time allowances leading to need to be in 2 places at the same time.
    Confusing documentation system for work meetings, CME, vacation, sick time, etc.
    Everything on computer, eg. Doctor Handbook, and the other usual basics usually given in hard copy by other clinic systems, and updated yearly. No knowledge the Handbook existed, I found by accident. It contains essential information not mentioned unless specific questions asked. Need to be very savvy employee, to think of these questions during whirlwind interview visit.
    Interview is indeed whirlwind visit. Recruitment staff good, but there was a period after I accepted offer, where no communication came, and I was beginning to think I imagined it all. Need to establish and maintain contact yourself. They don't seem to have any established routines, but that was 6 years ago.

You are probably still a great place to work (for other people), but communication remains a real issue.
    You are trying hard to balance the Business of Medicine with The Art of Medicine, but times are rolling too quickly to keep up when a large bureaucracy is involved.
    I am a mother too, and I understand it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time, but perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the main center.
    I received a very nice letter from Jeff Thompson after I began work, stating he would be around to my clinic to meet me and see how things were going. Estimated time line was 3 months. I was impressed it was actually hand signed, although still a form letter. I was still waiting for that meeting at the end of my employment after 4 years. Do not offer what you cannot do.

There are newer employer reviews for Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center