Guthy-Renker

There are newer employer reviews for Guthy-Renker

Great Potential to be a "5 star" workplace, still hopeful

Current Employee - Current Employee in Palm Desert, CA
Current Employee - Current Employee in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, Co-Workers, Work hours and time off when needed

Cons

Toxic environment, disparity in employee standards between work groups, managers pick favorites, no real-time evaluation on performance, no recognition for good performance, little chance of upward mobility within the company (except for nepotism and brown-nosing), highly political environment with a lot of knee-capping and backstabbing of co-workers.

- Be open to suggestions from those who report to you.
- Beware when employees take pleasure in reporting fellow employees' transgressions
- Invite dissenting opinions, you might find out something important that you don't already know (no, you are not omniscient)
- Stop killing the messengers. When you don't like what you hear, perhaps its because the "yes-men" are shielding from you... no ignorance is not bliss.
- Be consistent with standards. Every work group should be held accountable for his/her own job performance. No one should get a pass...based on who brown-noses

58 Other Employee Reviews for Guthy-Renker (View Most Recent)

General

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

Pros

Good product and hard working employees. Compensation and Benefits fiarly in line with marketplace and in sme cases a notch above.

Cons

Proliferation of C-Level positions. Imbalance between C-level and ranks underneath for an organization of this size. Seems C-Levels take care of themselves at the expense of ranks underneath them.

Rationalize number of C-Level roles.

Guthy-Renker Response

Aug 27, 2014Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your comments. Yes, there are 4 C-Level roles at G|R, which does not seem out of line for a company with over 1000 employees. Perhaps because they are all in one office, that office ... More

Good people, good culture, good opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Since 2012, GR has been internally transforming and recognized changes needed to be made. I joined in 2013 and so far I see GR making great stride to better streamline process, solicit employee feedback and take a more mindful approach to employee development.

Town Halls are held once a month to communicate key projects and strategies.

Culture promotes wellness and tons of perks are offered.

Cons

Still operating in many areas like a mom & pop shop versus the mid-size $1.5B company that GR is today.

Continue making positive changes for both the business and your people.

Guthy-Renker Response

Aug 27, 2014Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your positive comments. This is how we see ourselves, too, but based on other comments on the site, I recognize we dont come across this way to everyone. We will strive to do better.

There are newer employer reviews for Guthy-Renker