There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

Worked with different kinds of customers, coworkers were friendly

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newark, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

friendly staff
get to meet and serve different types of people

Cons

not much career advancement
more rewards for accomplishments

326 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

The most frustrating and least rewarding job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Love seeing and interacting with the children.

Cons

WORST: Sales Leads are required to work alone. We are instructed NOT to use the bathroom unless another employee can cover the floor. Cheap upper management.
    We get scolded and basically threatened if our store doesn't receive enough Gymboree Listens survey feedback high scores. Hello? There are times I have over 15 customers in the store, there's a line to check out and I'M BY MYSELF!!! How in the world can I give " legendary" customer service when I'm swamped, the phone is ringing and there are multiple customer requests for various items?
    Salaries are inadequate for sales staff. Sales Leads make just 30 to 60 cents more than associates. Yet we open ALONE, work most of the day ALONE and then count the money, do the paperwork and lock up!
    Employee morale is a joke. The district manager lives in a dream world. She terrorizes the employees with snide, demeaning comments, and generally a lack of empathy towards the employees. She doesn't even know how to work the cash register. I have yet to meet one employee at the 6 stores I've worked in that respects the woman.
    No one wants to work at the outlets. They are extremely busy and seemingly always understaffed. I have filled in there a few times. Incredible stress and pressure at the outlets.

Review salaries. Boost morale by LISTENING to your employees. Maybe store managers should be paid to attend meetings? Maybe supply a CHAIR for them to sit on? Once in a while FEED them and display gratitude for the many, many hours they work beyond the 40/week?
    Mandate that no one should work alone. Clearly this is a safety issue as well as a way to improve customer service.
    LISTEN to the store managers regarding staffing issues.
    Why can't inventory be sent in some kind of ORGANIZED manner? Why does our retail store get a ton of fleece during the late spring? Then the DM comes in and criticizes the lack of space in the backroom. DOH!
    Just really out of touch.

The worst job I ever had.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

You get a good discount on items that are very expensive.
    If you're looking for a job that will give you just a few hours a week, this is what they do.

Cons

Sales associates get very few hours, and store managers are overloaded with hours
    Use of scare tactics and yelling by management, even when it's unnecessary
    Tried to cheat me out of my hours by making me clock out when we closed, and then clean up.
    Unpaid training after closing (got away with this 'cause they said it was 'optional' but if you refused to go, you would get screamed at and threatened)
    I worked at several stores, picking up shifts for people and none of them seemed content to be working there.
    Also, there were way too many employees for how small of a store we were, so everyone except for management was part time and not getting many hours, yet they made it impossible to get a second job because they made you be available all of the time (they even called me in when I was in school--which I kept telling them I couldn't come during those hours and got told to come anyways and yelled at when I didn't show up.)
    You're expected to know all of the new lines and where everything in the store is, even if you only come in to work once or twice a week, and get yelled at and guilt tripped if you don't.
    It was a bad experience, I don't recommend working there to anyone!

Actually value your employees instead of abuse them. My experience was one that many stores across the DFW metroplex were experiencing, and I think that stems from that fact that they were managed by a DM that was very, very pushy and demanding. I think if you stopped promoting those types of people, you'd have happier employees and better service.

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!