Gymboree

Overworked, overwhelmed, overstressed, underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Lead in South Amboy, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Lead in South Amboy, NJ

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Love my manager & co-workers. Love the variety of tasks & being active. Love the clothes & setting up designs.

Cons

Being alone & having to do too many tasks, 100% customer service, watch for shoplifters. Very poor pay scale.

More payroll hours & better pay. At least 2 employees at all times. Replen that we can use, not old stuff

351 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

Terrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

~I have a job
    ~Some of the children are great
    ~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers.

~Always closing
    ~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later.
    ~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime.
    ~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates.
    ~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous.
    ~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other.
    ~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first.

Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.

Okay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

Good hours at the location I was at (closed at 7), good benefits, supportive team

Cons

too many voicemails!!! get an email system, working long hours and expecting Legendary Service when stuck at the register for 2 hours and alone, more sensitivity to personal life

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree