There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

Terrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

~I have a job
~Some of the children are great
~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers.

~Always closing
~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later.
~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime.
~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates.
~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous.
~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other.
~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first.

Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.

329 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

The worst job I ever had.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

You get a good discount on items that are very expensive.
    If you're looking for a job that will give you just a few hours a week, this is what they do.

Cons

Sales associates get very few hours, and store managers are overloaded with hours
    Use of scare tactics and yelling by management, even when it's unnecessary
    Tried to cheat me out of my hours by making me clock out when we closed, and then clean up.
    Unpaid training after closing (got away with this 'cause they said it was 'optional' but if you refused to go, you would get screamed at and threatened)
    I worked at several stores, picking up shifts for people and none of them seemed content to be working there.
    Also, there were way too many employees for how small of a store we were, so everyone except for management was part time and not getting many hours, yet they made it impossible to get a second job because they made you be available all of the time (they even called me in when I was in school--which I kept telling them I couldn't come during those hours and got told to come anyways and yelled at when I didn't show up.)
    You're expected to know all of the new lines and where everything in the store is, even if you only come in to work once or twice a week, and get yelled at and guilt tripped if you don't.
    It was a bad experience, I don't recommend working there to anyone!

Actually value your employees instead of abuse them. My experience was one that many stores across the DFW metroplex were experiencing, and I think that stems from that fact that they were managed by a DM that was very, very pushy and demanding. I think if you stopped promoting those types of people, you'd have happier employees and better service.

Worked with different kinds of customers, coworkers were friendly

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

friendly staff
    get to meet and serve different types of people

Cons

not much career advancement
    more rewards for accomplishments