Gymboree

Terrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

~I have a job
~Some of the children are great
~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers.

~Always closing
~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later.
~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime.
~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates.
~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous.
~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other.
~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first.

Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.

351 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

Worked with different kinds of customers, coworkers were friendly

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA

I worked at Gymboree

Pros

friendly staff
    get to meet and serve different types of people

Cons

not much career advancement
    more rewards for accomplishments

The most frustrating and least rewarding job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Love seeing and interacting with the children.

Cons

WORST: Sales Leads are required to work alone. We are instructed NOT to use the bathroom unless another employee can cover the floor. Cheap upper management.
    We get scolded and basically threatened if our store doesn't receive enough Gymboree Listens survey feedback high scores. Hello? There are times I have over 15 customers in the store, there's a line to check out and I'M BY MYSELF!!! How in the world can I give " legendary" customer service when I'm swamped, the phone is ringing and there are multiple customer requests for various items?
    Salaries are inadequate for sales staff. Sales Leads make just 30 to 60 cents more than associates. Yet we open ALONE, work most of the day ALONE and then count the money, do the paperwork and lock up!
    Employee morale is a joke. The district manager lives in a dream world. She terrorizes the employees with snide, demeaning comments, and generally a lack of empathy towards the employees. She doesn't even know how to work the cash register. I have yet to meet one employee at the 6 stores I've worked in that respects the woman.
    No one wants to work at the outlets. They are extremely busy and seemingly always understaffed. I have filled in there a few times. Incredible stress and pressure at the outlets.

Review salaries. Boost morale by LISTENING to your employees. Maybe store managers should be paid to attend meetings? Maybe supply a CHAIR for them to sit on? Once in a while FEED them and display gratitude for the many, many hours they work beyond the 40/week?
    Mandate that no one should work alone. Clearly this is a safety issue as well as a way to improve customer service.
    LISTEN to the store managers regarding staffing issues.
    Why can't inventory be sent in some kind of ORGANIZED manner? Why does our retail store get a ton of fleece during the late spring? Then the DM comes in and criticizes the lack of space in the backroom. DOH!
    Just really out of touch.

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree