Gymboree

the experience is good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

company culture is great & there is room for quick upward mobility.

Cons

Smaller company therefore, salary is lower than a bigger retailer

377 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

Corporate politics, low pay, little room for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent, corporate HQ is in a convenient location in SF

Cons

Corporate pay is low, they are more interested in hiring from the outside, few promotions and raises, Greedy and cut throat attitudes among the higher ups.

Instead of trying to continually cut costs in order to increase profits for yourself, think about your employees and their satisfaction. Clothing quality has deteriorated as well as the corporate environment overall. Their is a tremendous lack of appreciation and respect for employees. It appears that promotions take place depending on if upper management 'likes' you, not necessarily because of skill set or performance. The environment is caddy and it appears that upper management uses the poor economy as an excuse not to give raises.

Better Coming Than Going

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

I love kids
    I like customer service work/ the Legendary Service idea
    The people I work with
    I was able to move up quickly (started in April of 2011 with no retail experience, 4 - 5 months later got promoted to Sales Lead, recently considered for ASM)
    Young, energetic atmosphere
    I can feel creative at my job
    I do enjoy the relationship I have with my co-workers

Cons

I started as a Sales Associate so I will first start from that perspective.
    When I was a Sales Associate I liked my job but a few things made it difficult. 1) I had to travel far (18+ miles) to get to my location (which is the closest one) just to work a 3 hour shift. 2) My shifts weren't regular enough for me to come to a full grasp of the new store organization before another New Line would come in and change everything again. 3) New Lines were always an issue because we were always going over on hours and thus our 3 hour shifts were always getting cut.

Now, from the perspective as a Sales Lead.
    Quick List of Grievances:
    - High turnover
    - Hours
    - I got a 9 cent raise. <--- Disrespectful!
    - Trying to explain to customers the difference between 50% off rack and an UP TO 50% off rack.
    - Trying to explain to customers why 30% off Entire Store and a 20% off coupon doesn't mean 50% off ($100 item x 30% off = $70 x 20% off = $56)
    - Marketing (one set for New Line, then change it the next day for the new sales. Why have marketing for ONE day?)
    - Different stores have different prices and so does the online store and customers DEFINITELY notice this and it is consistently an issue.

We have a high turn over rate for Sales Associates for the reasons I stated above and as the closing manager I usually end up being the one who has to train the new people. This is incredibly frustrating when you have needy customers, you need to follow the 10 Steps to Selling, kids running around, and within an hour and a half into the Sales Associate shift you have to drop everything to clean because a half hour to close is a JOKE (especially when marketing has to change.)

Reconsider your organizational methods because there's some things I truly do not understand. Like, why did we get 6 boxes of replen right before getting 35 boxes of New Line product? Followed by 15 new boxes of replen, and then ANOTHER shipment of boxes of replen to follow?

If NL items weren't individually packaged and then packaged by style then the company would save significantly on wrapping and on hours. If the company made this change they could market it as a "green initiative." At that, they could also size items before they send it to us for some of the same reasons.

Create better incentives for employees to stay. Most employees that would take a SA position wouldn't have kids to support (since they can't off of the pay/hours.) With this consideration, 40% off discount isn't that great, especially since customers easily get better discounts than us. On top of that, a 3 hour shift hardly covers the cost to travel back and forth to work. I would consider staying longer if I had received better raises. If I were to get promoted to ASM with the same raise rate I got for my position now, I would earn less than $10 an hour.

Cut all the bureaucracy. You're dealing with people, not paperwork. Once you understand that, you'll get more consistent employment. There's focus on the product and not the production.

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree