Everything You Need To Know About Gymboree: Former Sales Lead Tells All

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gymboree part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth opportunity:
Opportunity to grow within the company, move up to higher positions then be able to list those positions on your resume for future jobs. No one stays around long, if you hang in there they promote you out of desperation, even if you aren't qualified or talented. This is the only reason I gave it an extra star.

Job Security:
Another plus is you can't get fired unless they discover you're stealing in some way. You can be completely horrible at your job and stay employed. They will cut your hours but they wont legally fire you because they want to avoid any possible legal issues.

Training:
You will learn a lot in this company that you can take elsewhere. Not from training (since there are no hours to actually train anyone) but from doing. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

Cons

Restrictions:
You work by yourself all day, which means you're not allowed to leave the sales floor to use the restroom. The company doesn't tell you that you're not allowed to use the restroom for legal reasons, but they tell you that you can't leave the sales floor. Well, if you're working alone (which is what a usual day shift as a Sales Lead is like) then you can't use the restroom because you can't leave the sales floor. That means saving your bathroom needs anywhere from 3-8 hours. How they legally get away with this, I have no idea.

Hours & Pay:
Hours aren't horrible for a part time job (18-30hrs a week), but if you're looking for a full time job because you want to support yourself/family, this isn't the place for you. The store manager doesn't even get 40hrs a week. The pay for any management position is 30%-40% lower than what they pay anywhere else for the same position. A Sales Lead makes anywhere from $8 - $11, Assistant manager makes anywhere from $9 - $13, and the store manager makes around 35k-45k a year.

Loss Prevention, Sales & Customer Service:
The company prides itself off of "legendary customer service" but it is impossible to give great service. First off, you're not only a sales person, you're store security. While working alone, with a room full of several customers, there is no way you can ring up everyone, walk away from the register to help everyone else with their questions, and follow around shoplifters to prevent them from snatching products out of your store. Physically it is impossible, and laughable to expect anyone to be able to do all these things at the same time. Plus, while doing these things, you're usually expected to do "replen," which is what they call putting new items from the stockroom out onto the floor. On top of all those things you should magically be able to do all at once, you have to constantly worry about secret shoppers, who the company sends to stores. They pretend to be shoppers and rate you on how well you do all those things without you knowing it. If you get a horrible score they will treat you horribly for it.

New inventory:
Every other week, or twice a month, the stores usually receive a "new line," which is the newest collection of clothing by the company (it's usually recycled styles from previous years but customers are too stupid to notice). Usually, 30-200 boxes are received for every store. They give you almost no hours other than your usual hours to process this. This creates stress beyond anything I have ever seen at a retail position. This will be a nightmare.

I was successful at my job, but it nearly killed me. I left because the pay for the amount of work wasn't worth it.

I know most of you have no control over any of the flaws of this company. It all comes down from corporate who sit in their offices and think they know it all without working a day in the store. Plus, most of you are here because there is nowhere else that will take you. Good luck with your life.

Other Reviews for Gymboree

Terrible Company to Work For. A Disgrace and Embarrassment to Have on My Résumé.

I worked at Gymboree full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customers & lasting product.

Cons

I could not be more ashamed of working for this company for 5 years. I was a store manager for 5 years. In the end I was asked to stay longer than my leave date because I had an incompetent district manager who could not fill a store manager position within the two month notice I gave. You are not at all valued in this company, and I guarantee they will walk all over you. You have absolutely no support from upper management, and it would be an understatement to say they play favorites. For example: If an associate from my store got a poor mystery shop score, I personally would be written up. (I never was, we always had great scores-but this happened in my district) & if a store manager from a different store in the district got a poor mystery shop score, we would all be given extra hours because if "The Favorite" store manager got a negative shop, then we must not have enough coverage and that is why it is negative. This company is just pure politics. They don't appreciate or take into consideration any of your questions/comments/concerns/or ideas. I would never recommend someone to work for this company. The only way you will like working here is if you are an associate, and have a great manager who trains you and you aren't interested in moving up in the company. To put the icing on the cake, if you move up in this company, they will low ball you and try to give you only a 10% raise for a promotion, 30% is probably the absolute highest they would give you-and that would be from an assistant manager to a store manager. So if you start as a sales lead-which the maximum pay in California is $10.35-you can do the math on what 10% would be to become an assistant manager then manager...NOT GOOD! You would be better off quitting then getting re-hired. Not to mention the fact that they expect a lot out of you on minimal hours. There is no maintenance crew or cleaning crew, you will be up on ladders changing light bulbs and scrubbing toilets. High work load for minimal benefits. Oh did I mention that it took 9 weeks for me to get my final paycheck because they mailed it to an old address instead of the address on my exit paperwork? After getting re-issued it was Impossible to get through to accounts payable and payroll, even while still using the employee hotline. I left message after message and never got a callback. This company should be reported to the labor board. BE AWARE! This company is also tanking in the numbers. If you want a company who is doing great in this business aspect, this is not it. Stores are closing and the company is clearancing out as much product as possible because everyone is inundated with too much product in their back rooms.

Listen to your employees, they know more about the business daily than you do. Also, regionals, you shouldn't just hire employees from your former company's, this is a business and not a place to hire all your friends. There should NOT be a blind replenishment! Stores get product that they don't need and they end up sitting on it for months, even years! This ultimately costs you money, because you have to clearance it out for .99 during BRB! Treat your employees with respect and kindness, they work hard for you, and they don't receive any support from you. After 5 years, it's a disgrace to leave on such negative terms after working so hard to sell your product and build your customer base.

store manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great discount
    average salary
    get to kids grow and you truly make friends with your core customer and team

Cons

I worked for this company for over 10 years and it was great in the beginning but has slowly gone down hill. Over 6 different DMs. Micro managed to the max!!!!!! My most recent DM treated all of us as if we were literally children making us repeat things she just said as if we didn't get it the first time. This was totally humiliating and degrading.
    Multi-tasking is a UNDERSTATMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No hours!!!!!!! I could go on and on and give millions of reasons not to work here, however the children and great customers really kept me there for so many years!

Quit micro-manageing!!!! Let your store managers be creative!! That is one of the company values!

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree.

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!