OK

I have been working at Gymboree

Pros

Good work life balance and OK benefits.

Cons

Below market salary and limited growth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A lot of work that is never good enough for management

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Milford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Milford, CT

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. Other than that there really isn't anything good about it. Besides the discount...maybe.

Cons

Customer service evaluation is stupid, net promoter score is just as stupid, manager who thinks she can dictate when you can take your sick time, pay is lousy, constant new lines, clothes are ugly, merchandise doesn't sell, always new "contests" that don't increase sales, constant markdowns, replenishment of merchandise that hasn't even sold yet.

Advice to Management

Stop sending so much merchandise, change your designers the clothes are all so baby looking, train your managers on how to treat people like humans, the CSE is ridiculous half of the customers are annoyed you're talking so much. You expect employees to get SO MUCH done in such a little amount of time, if your clothing sold better you would be able to afford to give stores more hours so that the staff can get the crazy requests accomplished in a timely fashion.

College students, need not apply

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Gymboree part-time

Pros

Gymboree promotes a friendly environment welcome to kids (up to age 12) and parents. Like many other retail stores, you get an employee discount, but whether you get to use it or not depends on the sale. Sometimes the computer recognizes whether the clearance/sale deals are better for you than using the discount. If you are a parent working at Gymboree, then the discount is useful because Gymboree has great quality product, that tends to last for quite a while.

Cons

Unfortunately, my cons list is longer than my pros list. Some things you need to know before applying, the starting salary is $8 for a sales associate. Period. Not a competitive salary at all. If you're looking for something higher need not apply here because upward mobility isn't good here either. Manual labor is required which involves lifting heavy boxes, climbing ladders, and constantly shifting store merchandise. When a new line comes in usually it entails unloading about thirty boxes stuffed with clothes in one day. There has only been one instance where my availability schedule has not been honored by management, but that was by mistake. Unless your in the holiday season, or apart of the opening of a store, don't expect to get many hours for part-time. The amount of hours you get, depends on how good you are at sales. Most managers (or employees in general) tend to be female, and therefore cattiness can come into play sometimes because of all of that estrogen running around. How good management is varies from store to store. Where i am now, I find that my manager is more in tune with daily gossip, and making others do her share of the work, rather than assisting customers, which puts more pressure on the other employees to make our day. Lastly, we are required to ask each customer to do an online survey. If they give us less than a ten (ten being the highest) it fails us, and let's just say if you fail, it's not good. Therefore, customer service is extremely important, and Gymboree is not for you if you don't like interacting with people.

Advice to Management

Focus more on doing your part in helping the business grow, rather than gossip topics, hire at a higher salary because the starting salary isn't worth the amount of work one does.