There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

A good environment to work in

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

family feel, great benefits and overall positive work place. Its pretty bear boned so you are able to get involved and take on new projects

Cons

People can get pigeon holed. Goals are not shared by different departments and there can often times be cross functional friction. There is not enough focus on training.

329 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

The most stressful year of my life I wish I could take back.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non really. The pay is decent enough unless you're a salaried store manager. Then you'll be making less than your sales associates.

Cons

Where to even begin. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I have been in retail for many years and everything that Gymboree does will never make sense to me.
    1. There is no payroll to back anything that they demand of you. 120 hours per week to do nothing but never ending tasking that will never be complete because you spend hours alone in the store because you don't have the payroll to support additional help.
    2. Speaking of tasking, the new lines after new lines are ridiculous. Over 3000 units coming into the store every couple of weeks when you haven't even sold through the previous units that came through. Mind you, you will get a good 45-50 boxes every time that must be sorted, processed and put out all in the same day. Don't forget, you must flip around the entire store every time as well. You end up back stocking so much merchandise your back room starts exploding on itself. You end up boxing up product to sit there for years to come. How this company makes money is beyond me at the end of the day.
    3. So if new line wasn't already fun enough. You also will need to markdown product the same day you're doing this. Let's just pile it all on them.
    4. While we're still on the back room. Your dm will come into the store and scream at you because no one wants to buy the garbage they send to you.
    5. The turn over rate is ridiculous. Good luck ever trying to find and keep a good Sales Lead or Assistant Manager. The pay is terrible for them. You can't give them more than 28 hours a week. Fear of having to pay them benefits. They can walk down the mall hallway and get hired on to do less work, probably get paid more, and get full time at many different locations. Why are the Assistants only part time? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! They're supposed to be a Store Managers right hand. Right....they're no different than a Sales Lead at the end of the day.
    6.Customers can be demanding and they know how to work the system. They expect the legendary customer service when you can't give it to them, because again, you're stuck in the store alone for HOURS. Secret shops and online surveys....the online surveys set you up to fail every time. We are expected to beg for 10's from customers. The secret shop has gotten easier to pass. But again, if you're alone you can automatically fail due to missing the greet.
    7. Having your dm constantly text you or call your house on your day off. Demanded to get on conference calls on your days off.
    8 Speaking of dm's having unprofessional dm's who are so in over their heads with demands they in turn make you do part of their jobs. The dm for my district liked to gossip about other stores with me. Which worried me about what she was saying about me.
    9. There is no training at all for anyone. I tried my best to train everyone on what little knowledge I was ever given about the company. I was hired in and given a crash course 3 day training to become a Store Manager. In my year there my dm hardly ever answered any questions I had and would get mad at me when I would miss things on my audit because I was never trained on it.
    10. Everything the company does seems to be hypocritical. They say their family orientated. Weird because I never had time for my family. They say they're nice. I can't tell you how many times my dm yelled at me. They want you to start taking legal breaks and lunches. Where is the payroll to make this happen?

I honestly want the last year of my life back. Taking a job with this company was by far the worst decision I have ever made. I should have ran the other direction instead of thinking I could make something of it. I WOULDN'T EVEN RECOMMEND THIS JOB TO MY WORST ENEMY.

Change your Assistant Manager position to full time for every store.
    Stop putting your Store Managers on salary and treating them like dogs making them work hours upon hours because you're too cheap to ever pay them overtime and or give them payroll to run a store.
    Cut back on the new lines. Stop recycling the same dress, skirt, animal on the items. The recycled nature of your product disgusts me. You're charging an arm and a leg for this stuff and it's the same product over and over again. Give stores a chance to sell what they have instead of over packing stores.
    Work a month in a location when there are back to back new lines during busy times. GOOD LUCK when you're stuck alone for hours on end.
    I really wish undercover boss would happen to this company. Let you deal with your mistakes.

unfair pay for amount of work as sales lead

I have been working at Gymboree part-time

Pros

employee discount. people i work with are great, not including DM.

Cons

been there for +5yrs & pay as sales lead is measly compared to amount of work done. they give us like 25 boxes for shipment and expect us to finish them within 24hrs and take care of customers with legendary service & expect us to get an 100% on secret shops. they gave us a chart on how to properly process shipment but what they dont realize is that it doesnt work in reality. they only hire inexperienced, incompetent, and lazy management from outside the company and dont properly train them and wonder why their stores fail. they wonder why so many associates quit and why so many store managers quit as well. they would be saving some money if they hired from inside the company because they dont have to waste time and money and hours training someone else, when the person working there already knows what is going on. as a sales lead you only get like 18 hours a week and not enough to pay bills. associates get like 10 hrs or less a week and wonder why they quit as well. the sales lead do the same things as management, sometimes even more than them & we dont get any FTOs or vacation or more hours or any benefits except the $50 bonus IF we make plan & LY. they dont give us enough hours to do markdowns either and expect us to finish them in 24hrs when there are alot of units to markdown,while at the same time expecting us to pay attention to customers and get 100% on secret shops. its not fair that sales leads have to work every single holiday that we do work and assistant managers and store managers dont schedule themselves to work, while sales leads do. you have to understand that we have families too! Please take a good look at your values because it seems like the company places more value on the customers than their employees. "we care about one another", no you dont because again you place more value on the customer than your employees, when an incident happens, its always the employees fault. "we like to celebrate success" of course you do, but you forget some stores the ones that did make plan and forget to mention us on voicemail and praise when we do well. the problem is not within our store per say, but it lies mostly in corporation and the company itself. they need to fix alot of things!

please schedule everyone evenly and give enough hours to everyone. corporate please give us enough hours to complete boxes and markdowns and newline. please hire competent managers and dont expect sales leads to do their job, its supposed to be an equal team.

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree