Gymboree

www.gymboree.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

A good environment to work in

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

family feel, great benefits and overall positive work place. Its pretty bear boned so you are able to get involved and take on new projects

Cons

People can get pigeon holed. Goals are not shared by different departments and there can often times be cross functional friction. There is not enough focus on training.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

The most stressful year of my life I wish I could take back.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Non really. The pay is decent enough unless you're a salaried store manager. Then you'll be making less than your sales associates.

Cons

Where to even begin. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I have been in retail for many years and everything that Gymboree does will never make sense to me.
    1. There is no payroll to back anything that they demand of you. 120 hours per week to do nothing but never ending tasking that will never be complete because you spend hours alone in the store because you don't have the payroll to support additional help.
    2. Speaking of tasking, the new lines after new lines are ridiculous. Over 3000 units coming into the store every couple of weeks when you haven't even sold through the previous units that came through. Mind you, you will get a good 45-50 boxes every time that must be sorted, processed and put out all in the same day. Don't forget, you must flip around the entire store every time as well. You end up back stocking so much merchandise your back room starts exploding on itself. You end up boxing up product to sit there for years to come. How this company makes money is beyond me at the end of the day.
    3. So if new line wasn't already fun enough. You also will need to markdown product the same day you're doing this. Let's just pile it all on them.
    4. While we're still on the back room. Your dm will come into the store and scream at you because no one wants to buy the garbage they send to you.
    5. The turn over rate is ridiculous. Good luck ever trying to find and keep a good Sales Lead or Assistant Manager. The pay is terrible for them. You can't give them more than 28 hours a week. Fear of having to pay them benefits. They can walk down the mall hallway and get hired on to do less work, probably get paid more, and get full time at many different locations. Why are the Assistants only part time? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! They're supposed to be a Store Managers right hand. Right....they're no different than a Sales Lead at the end of the day.
    6.Customers can be demanding and they know how to work the system. They expect the legendary customer service when you can't give it to them, because again, you're stuck in the store alone for HOURS. Secret shops and online surveys....the online surveys set you up to fail every time. We are expected to beg for 10's from customers. The secret shop has gotten easier to pass. But again, if you're alone you can automatically fail due to missing the greet.
    7. Having your dm constantly text you or call your house on your day off. Demanded to get on conference calls on your days off.
    8 Speaking of dm's having unprofessional dm's who are so in over their heads with demands they in turn make you do part of their jobs. The dm for my district liked to gossip about other stores with me. Which worried me about what she was saying about me.
    9. There is no training at all for anyone. I tried my best to train everyone on what little knowledge I was ever given about the company. I was hired in and given a crash course 3 day training to become a Store Manager. In my year there my dm hardly ever answered any questions I had and would get mad at me when I would miss things on my audit because I was never trained on it.
    10. Everything the company does seems to be hypocritical. They say their family orientated. Weird because I never had time for my family. They say they're nice. I can't tell you how many times my dm yelled at me. They want you to start taking legal breaks and lunches. Where is the payroll to make this happen?

I honestly want the last year of my life back. Taking a job with this company was by far the worst decision I have ever made. I should have ran the other direction instead of thinking I could make something of it. I WOULDN'T EVEN RECOMMEND THIS JOB TO MY WORST ENEMY.

Change your Assistant Manager position to full time for every store.
    Stop putting your Store Managers on salary and treating them like dogs making them work hours upon hours because you're too cheap to ever pay them overtime and or give them payroll to run a store.
    Cut back on the new lines. Stop recycling the same dress, skirt, animal on the items. The recycled nature of your product disgusts me. You're charging an arm and a leg for this stuff and it's the same product over and over again. Give stores a chance to sell what they have instead of over packing stores.
    Work a month in a location when there are back to back new lines during busy times. GOOD LUCK when you're stuck alone for hours on end.
    I really wish undercover boss would happen to this company. Let you deal with your mistakes.

It doesn't matter what you do, it will always be your fault.

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is flexible and the clothes are cute, plus the discount isn't too bad.

Cons

You could sell your soul for this company and they would tell you you weren't working hard enough. Over the last two years the company has cut hours and increased the demands to a point where it has become physically impossible to keep up. They will give you 4000 markdowns, 9 boxes of replenishment, a full store sign change, 40 or more boxes of new inventory, and several other tasks to be completed in an incredibly small time frame. Then they will tell you that you are only allowed to do tasking before and after the store is open, but refuse to give you hours to do so. When you are unable to meet their demands they will tell you that you and the other employees are "not working hard or fast enough."

Shoplifting is also a huge issue. The company does absolutely nothing to deter shoplifters, with the exception of reprimanding the employees of store who have this issue. Employees are allowed to do nothing about shoplifters, my store is not even allowed to call security for known shoplifters anymore. They will allow returns without receipts over and over again and have employees all but help shoplifters put items into their bags.

The company is also great about finding ways to keep store employees from their bonuses. There have been several stores in this area who have made their monthly goal and have earned their bonuses only to find out that the company has raised that goal, without informing them, two days prior to the month ending. These stores have then had to fight the company in order to receive their earned bonus.

Upper management should take some time to talk to the employees who are making the entire business possible. Spend some time in the stores to see first hand the stress level and the issues that are constantly occurring. At the very least, lower your expectations down to a human level, you hire living people, not robots.

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree