There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

I think that it is a very good company, the stores are consistent and the customer is king

I have been working at Gymboree full-time for less than a year

Pros

Loyal employees, well managed merchandise

Cons

young staff at retail level - high rate of turn over.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree (View Most Recent)

Worst year of my life.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Gymboree full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Building great relationships with customers and their children.

Cons

There are so many cons to working for this company. I'll list the ones that bothered me the most.

- Tasking. I have worked for many retail stores. I have never met a store that has such unrealistic expectations for tasking. New line after new line. The same day as you processing 4000 brand new units they expect you to markdown 4000 old units. All while flip flopping the store to make room for that new line.

- Payroll. They give the bare minimum hours to run a store. Store Managers are salaried which means as a SM you will end up working over 60 hours a week often. How else is a new line going to be completed? How else are those markdowns going to be completed? What about sign changes? It always made me laugh when I would get payroll for the following week and see the extra .50 they would give me for markdowns and replenishment boxes. Last Christmas my base 117 hour a week payroll got bumped up to 120. Even with the extended mall hours. Working countless hours alone on the sales floor is ridiculous. Good luck if you ever have to go to the bathroom or eat. Breaks? Lunches? Yeah right.

- Let's talk about the ridiculous amounts of merchandise that goes into the backroom to die. It rarely sees the light of day after it hits the backroom. The backroom was not large enough for the amount of product that got shoved back there because there was literally no place to put it on the floor. How this company actually makes money is beyond me.

- Speaking of product, how many colors and patterns can you make the same dress or skirt or cotton shorts? The new lines that they insist on sending you every other week always has the same product in it that you already put out. Just because a dress has the same bird or dog that they use over and over again that never sold at full price doesn't mean they need to send that same dress with a horse on it. Also, no little girl in a size 12 wants to wear the clothes. Stop at size 6 or 8.

- Most stores will only have a part time Assistant Manager. Who they will pay very poorly. Good luck ever filling that position or keeping it filled. Once they understand they will only get 20 hours a week, no benefits, and see the amount of work required they usually bolt. Can't blame them. The Sales Leads get maybe 10 hours a week so good luck keeping them on staff. Your Sales Associates get maybe 3 hours a week. Again good luck keeping them on staff.

- Customers actually pay less for the clothing than employees. Employee discounts are a joke.

Start giving your stores the proper tools to run a successful business. Stores need more payroll. Stores need full time Assistant Managers. Stop sending new line after new lines. Stop making it impossible for stores to keep up their backroom. Stop sitting on merchandise for years. You're losing money. Spend a day in a Store Managers shoes on new line. Stop wearing your employees so thin and not hearing their cries. You will always have a high turn over rate because your company is a joke. I would love to see Undercover Boss spend a week in a Gymboree on a new line week, big red balloon, and just for fun inventory week.

Get out while you still can... if you're considering a job with gymboree read this first!

I have been working at Gymboree full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent rate of pay. If you love to live at your store, this is the best career move for you.

Cons

Way to many to list!

The most antiquated POS systems and cumbersome to use, typically takes around 10 mins per transaction as long as the systems DONT crash!

When contacting corporate, expecting to get a resolution and all you get is an idiot with an attitude on the other end.

Nothing here is done electronically including the hand written schedules. Come on lets get with the times. Good luck with keeping a visually pleasings store due to the amount of new product they allocate to you. Have never worked for a company that has a floorset so frequently. The payroll, lets not even go there, this company views the Store Manager position as "most accountable slave in the store" Upper Management is so set in there ways about procedures, that are proven time and again yo be very ineffective. I wish somebody would have wrote a review like this, before I pulled the trigger with this Company.

Omg listen to your field Management, the are on the front lines and will tell you what works and what doesn't! If you want yo be taken seriously as a leading child retailer, then start acting like it!!!!! Set your stores up for success!!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

Worked for Gymboree? Contribute to the Community!