There are newer employer reviews for Gymboree

Don't even think about it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gymboree full-time

Pros

Location is good, free coffee/drinks, friendly cafe staff, a lot of the worker bees (non-management) are great. 3% of managers and above are also great. Benefits (health/vision/dental) are about average but I'll still list this as a pro. Vacation time is not bad. Mark although not making wonderful decisions is a nice guy, so I am listing that as a pro as well. Overall HR team is nice. if you want to play political games to get ahead in title and pay, it isn't very hard. You don't even have to know how to do your job.

Cons

Management. Management. Management. Sorry, let's say this one more time: management. Executive team feels that there is no need to learn about the business and it is clear that the vast majority of VPs and higher have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Working there is similar to the Hunger Games and the politics at this stage are beyond tolerable levels. It's absolutely toxic. The Kardashian family has less drama than this place.

Training has never been great at Gymboree HQ and it is only getting worse. As more individuals resign the knowledge of processes and functions within the business continue to dwindle. I genuinely feel bad when people accept offers at the company.

Company has rebranded and "invested" in marketing to only change their tune a year or so later. Strategy from a brand perspective is non-existent. The plans to make money for the business are a joke. Fiscal results are still published and even if you are not a numbers person, please read them. Note the trends quarter after quarter.

Work/life balance can be really amazing or really awful. Some people have been working 9-5 (if that) for years, others work morning, noon, night, weekends, and holidays and still fall behind. This does not depend on the team or the title. There are individuals from both groups everywhere. It is mind blowing.

Advice to Management

Understand the business and the customer. Quit hyping up values once a quarter that do not exist. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will only accelerate the already faster than the speed of light pace of people resigning. Halt the competitions to scream over another VP and use the most four letter words in management meetings. It is killing. the. business. It is wasting good lower level talent.

reviews filtered by
  1. Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Gymboree part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and Easy! Great people to work with. Gymboree makes beautiful clothing so easy to sell. Discounts on clothing.

Cons

Gymboree still has old technology: old computers, old school registers and POS program, old school ways of doing markdowns. Never given extra hours for markdowns, marketing changes. I am always having to cut hours or work off the clock just to get things done. So many tasks but never enough time to do everything. Over worked and under paid. Customers get better discounts than us employees get.

Advice to Management

I wish that Management would realize how long it takes to do certain tasks and give us more hours to complete them without us working off the clock or cutting hours just to make payroll. I have associates quitting because pay is horrible and I can't give them the hours they would like.

2. Gymboree is a fun and friendly environment to work at.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McAllen, TX

I worked at Gymboree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to creat a bond with the customer and that kind of relation is good when you want to show the customers how important they are.

Cons

The amount of hours I would get was low and I feel that some people where I worked where not that dedicated to the job.