H.I.G. Capital

www.higcapital.com
  www.higcapital.com
There are newer employer reviews for H.I.G. Capital

Great place to work, amazing work experience.

Former Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

H.I.G. completes many transactions during an year. At a junior level this is an excellent opportunity to get great work experience across a really broad range of companies and industries. The company is also quite hands on with portfolio companies, which means junior folk are able to work closely with the portfolio and see the operations of many businesses.
A lot of very smart people and excellent managers who take care of their junior employees.

Cons

Miami is great if you are young and single but not that great otherwise, still quite a nice city though! The flip side of the number of deals H.I.G. does is that you will be busy. Obviously there are variations to this based on the general credit environment, the economy and the time of year but in general, it's a lot of work.

Recognize the role of the Principals who do an extraordinary job of mentoring junior folk so that they have more incentive do continue doing so.

13 Other Employee Reviews for H.I.G. Capital (View Most Recent)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

Great people.
    Great company with a strong reputation.
    Opportuntiy to look at great deals.
    Great work/life balance as far as private equity is concerned.
    Great opportunity to build professional skills.

Cons

Feedback system is not optimal but is adequate to let people know how they are doing.
    The amount of work to be done is contigent upon the economy.

Does a great job effectively analyzing companies and maintaining discipline in investment decisions.
    Could offer more opportunities to interact with other sections of the firm.

Opportunities and challenges that stem from the firms growth

Former Employee - Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at H.I.G. Capital

Pros

HIG has been growing rapidly over the past few years. The company has expanded into multiple new investment areas providing significant opportunity for growth and expansion. Although the company is not in a prime geography, they are able to attract strong team members from the top business schools, including many from HBS, Wharton, etc.

A key benefit of working for HIG is the opportunity to co-invest in their deals. Historically the funds have performed incredibly well and therefore have benefited those who invested. In some cases, the firm will provide a loan to enable an employee to invest more than they may have readily available.

Cons

The travel and work schedule can be grueling at times. With so many deals coming through the door there never seem to be enough bodies to handle the load. At times it can be challenging for the firm to retain younger candidates who do not have local ties to the region, especially when they are offered more compensation elsewhere.

As with any growing organization, there are challenges when building out the core team. Expanding into Hedge Funds, European Buyouts, Growth Equity, and other areas over the past three years has stretched the management. The small firm feel that once existed no longer pervades.

Continue to grow aggressively, but take more actions to retain employees, including attempting to provide greater work/life balance, as well as increased pay.

There are newer employer reviews for H.I.G. Capital