H&R Block

Satisfied

Current Employee - Tax Preparer
Current Employee - Tax Preparer

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

flexible hours, very good trainig available. Challenging work.

Cons

seasonal work, low pay for level of responsibility, training at minimal cost, but not paid while training, commission dependant upon walk in and previous customers. Need better marketingf and more competative rates.

909 Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block (View Most Recent)

Great Seasonal Job for learning taxes and learning about people.

Current Employee - Tax Associate
    Current Employee - Tax Associate

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

The Short: It is a great place to learn about personal taxes and help people.

The Long:

If you are new to taxes and want to learn about them then this is a great job. They offer a training class every fall for people who want to learn about taxes. The cost varies base on where you go and who you ask. The class's test (or passing of a competency test) will allow you to interview for a job. (some people take the class just to learn taxes which is great)

If you do get hired then after your first year (if you do decide to come back the next season) you get unlimited classes for further education for $20.

Pay at the start is around $9 for someone with no experience and starting out. Not a ton of money but it does go up in the 2nd year based on experience and passing tests to advance in knowledge and title. The other part is commission which you do not get in the first year. This is the part where you will have to market yourself to get more people in. It is encouraged but just enjoy the job if marketing is not for you.

If you love to learn, love to help and find taxes interesting then this is a good seasonal job to have.

Cons

I guess the main one is experience will vary per office. The office I am at is very nice and the other professionals are constantly using off time to research questions that arose from complicated cases.

The bad part of that is that if it gets too quiet we lose some hours.

On the other end there are offices so busy that you can not really ask questions and feel rushed.

It Seasonal (if that is a bad thing). If you are just starting out then use it to build some experience for a more permanent job but do take advantage of all the wonder resources they have.

Pay starts off low but it becomes based on knowledge and marketing so it could rise fast based on your own personal talents.

The only piece of advice is to work on pricing. I do believe in H&R Block and it commitment to its clients but the prices do drive some away to people who charge less but offer questionable services.

We do offer a lot for our services but some people just want to get their taxes done.

Great opportunity lo grow

Current Employee - Tax Specialist I
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist I

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

flexible scheduling; seasonal role; high income potential; can take tax courses for chep

Cons

the foottraffic of your office will play a role in your commission and income. Try to get at an office with high customer volume.

leadership at hr block is great. they make sure that you know what is going on and any new rules that come down.

There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block