There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

A Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Client Service Professional in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Client Service Professional in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

-Very flexible with scheduling
-Excellent communication throughout the company
-Decent pay
-Management makes you feel like everybody is a part of a team
-Great training
-Opportunities for career advancement

Cons

-Seasonal position, it would be nice if the CSPs had the opportunity to work during the summer

reviews filtered by
  1. Pretty good

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at H&R Block

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Support from other offices
    Excellent software

Cons

Clients do not like paying higher prices

2. Coming to H&R Block, I felt welcomed and could rely on anybody for anything. Now I am the same towards the new tax pros.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belleville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belleville, IL

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

You get tons of training and knowledge on new tax laws to make your job as a tax pro easier.
    You decide your own schedule (hours, days) to work.
    You are given off days when needed if you can find someone to work on your scheduled days.
    The salary as a first year tax professional is at $10.00, not bad at all.
    You always have a chance to move up in certification which allows your commission to increase.
    The dress code is not strict. Dress code is common sense; wear professional office apparel.
    Management listens to your concerns and works with you to satisfy you the best they can.
    You will ALWAYS have contact with some sort of management. Easy to reach.

Cons

You are expected to know everything from the courses you completed, but that also depends on the employee's part. If the employee is willing to study hard, he will know the material.

Hourly wage takes from your bonus, so if you don't have clients and sitting on the clock, you are losing money from your bonus.

You are expected to sell other services with the tax preparation (second looks, peace of minds) and if you don't, management gets upset. But it's good selling these because it adds to your commission/bonus.

When contacting the IRS, you have to wait the same wait time as everyone else and they aren't willing to talk to you. You have to speak through your client.

There are a certain amount of hours you must complete (summer/fall courses) before you are able to be rehire-able for the next tax year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I don't know about other offices nationwide, but my district manager is one of the hardest working managers I have ever worked for. My manager listens to feed-back and ideas and actually complies with them. True leader status!