H&R Block
www.hrblock.com Kansas City, MO 5000+ Employees

Good company to learn how to prepare tax returns on a commercial basis.

Tax Associate (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than a year

ProsVery good materials used in tax classes; Company offers a wide variety of classes as well, including classes that count towards continuing education requirements.

H&R Block supports employees in attaining the Registered Tax Return Preparer (RTRP) designation, which will be required of all tax preparers by December 31, 2013.

Flexible work schedule.

ConsFirst year salary is fixed. It was $8.50/hr in Raleigh during the 2012 season. Associates earn commissions in year two.

If you are looking to build a larger practice, you could do a lot better financially as a sole proprietor or an LLC. However, you would be responsible for overhead, marketing, and could be personally responsible in the event of malpractice.

Advice to Senior ManagementMinor suggestion: There are times where tax associates will be over aggressive in taking walk-in clients when they have scheduled appointments. The problem is two-fold: First, it denies another associate the opportunity to complete a return when they are unencumbered. Second, it can delay the scheduled appointment, which affects the service of other clients.

I've worked at Block for three seasons, working as an office manager for the last two years.

Office Leader (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at H&R Block as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros: Great opportunity to help others; great low-cost learning opportunities; great… Cons: Seasonal; no benefits; low pay for skill required Advice to Senior Management: Consider rewarding employees better for skill required; provide more year-round… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

My experience was uneventful to say the least

Office Manager II (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexible hours, depending on position, hiring process very fast Cons: Long hours, little regard for personal life, greedy Advice to Senior Management: Expectations can be unrealistic, please consider the that the economy… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on H&R Block.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&R Block reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for H&R Block CEO William C. Cobb. All reviews posted anonymously by H&R Block employees.