There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

Good education program - but take advantage of employees

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Tax Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

flexible working hours for part time employees. excellent education offered.

Cons

pay. dress code for men.

Advice to Management

show more respect for workers

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

H&R Block: A Good Fit If You Know What You're Getting Into.

Current Employee - Tax Advisor in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Tax Advisor in Ocala, FL

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

The best reasons to work for H&R Block would be for the experience and knowledge you gain from working there. Client service, interviewing techniques, tax, accounting, and legal knowledge are hard to come by through education alone. You need experience to get your foot in the door at most firms, but can't get it at many places. This is a Fortune 500 company that will hire you if pass the basic building blocks course. From there, with a few years of experience and some certification (Enrolled Agent, CPA, JD, etc.) you are likely to land a job with a private firm or one of the Big 4.

Cons

The major downsides to working at H&R Block are the lack of benefits, the ever-changing "schedule" you are to work, and the relatively low wages when compared to the rest of the tax and financial planning industry as a whole. You also have to deal with a wide spectrum of clients, some of whom are very polite and nice, while some are very arrogant, angry, and/or downright hostile. While this is a good training environment, it's not for everyone, and there are always people who start work knowing the theory but can't handle the pressures of the clients being "in your face" so to speak. There are also quotas for sales targets, new clients, and so on that must be met or the management will begin to ask you why you aren't producing.

Advice to Management

I would say that the pay structure needs to be changed. If we are truly paid "on commission" as is asserted, we should be able to collect our commission checks every pay period rather than in one lump sum at the close of the tax season.

Good training not so good compensation.

Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

Block has a great information network and a very throug instrucional process for people to learn to prepare taxes. The office I worked in was a friendly place to work and the other preparers were very helpful.

Cons

The pay scale was disappointing as was the bonus commission at the end of tax season.

Advice to Management

Have the compensation upgraded to something more satisfying.