There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

Good education program - but take advantage of employees

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Tax Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

flexible working hours for part time employees. excellent education offered.

Cons

pay. dress code for men.

show more respect for workers

reviews filtered by

H&R Block: A Good Fit If You Know What You're Getting Into.

Current Employee - Tax Advisor in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Tax Advisor in Ocala, FL

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

The best reasons to work for H&R Block would be for the experience and knowledge you gain from working there. Client service, interviewing techniques, tax, accounting, and legal knowledge are hard to come by through education alone. You need experience to get your foot in the door at most firms, but can't get it at many places. This is a Fortune 500 company that will hire you if pass the basic building blocks course. From there, with a few years of experience and some certification (Enrolled Agent, CPA, JD, etc.) you are likely to land a job with a private firm or one of the Big 4.

Cons

The major downsides to working at H&R Block are the lack of benefits, the ever-changing "schedule" you are to work, and the relatively low wages when compared to the rest of the tax and financial planning industry as a whole. You also have to deal with a wide spectrum of clients, some of whom are very polite and nice, while some are very arrogant, angry, and/or downright hostile. While this is a good training environment, it's not for everyone, and there are always people who start work knowing the theory but can't handle the pressures of the clients being "in your face" so to speak. There are also quotas for sales targets, new clients, and so on that must be met or the management will begin to ask you why you aren't producing.

I would say that the pay structure needs to be changed. If we are truly paid "on commission" as is asserted, we should be able to collect our commission checks every pay period rather than in one lump sum at the close of the tax season.

Great part-time job, but is it really all about taxes?

Current Employee - Tax Pro
    Current Employee - Tax Pro

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

It's a great part-time job. The hours are flexible and, if you put effort into it, the training is fantastic.

Cons

The company seems to be more driven by selling products than by doing taxes. This is a change from when I started in the early 2000s, and my current district manager doesn't seem to care how well I do taxes (I do them *very* well) but only about how many Peace of Minds and Second Looks I can sell.

None. They likely wouldn't care.

There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block