There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

Good experience on a layover in-between career moves.

Former Employee - Officer Manager III in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Officer Manager III in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at H&R Block part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy with an entrepreneurial spirit to manage, market and create business opportunities for not only myself but my team as well.

Cons

I believe that the pay could be better for individuals who manage two or more locations as it is really challenging.

Advice to Management

Review my comments in the Cons section. Also, management and marketing trends were extremely difficult to deal with during the tax season. Not that it was really difficult as much as it was confusing to employees as well as clients. I believe they could be more client and employee friendly by providing Managers with the Marketing ideas in the first part of December such that the offices and communities can be better informed of their tax prep options.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Ok For A Part-Time Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Decatur, GA

I worked at H&R Block part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were nice, and the environment was pretty casual. The work wasn't too difficult. I really just checked the tax documents to make sure that they were in the correct order and that all papers were signed.

Cons

I worked in the filing room, and it was SO COLD. I've always hated the smell and taste of coffee, but I forced myself to drink it (full of cream and sugar) in order to stay warm.

Advice to Management

A little bit more training would have been nice. The other CSC (kind of a jerk) laughed and corrected me when I didn't know the proper greeting when I answered the phone.

Treat and pay employees like fast food workers

I worked at H&R Block

Pros

Summers off, flexible schedule, short commute

Cons

The hiring process is awful. Everything is supposed to be email and if you don't get all of the emails for whatever reason you will be at a loss. No one calls you. If you need information about training or getting onto the website be prepared to call several different offices to be referred to a bunch of different people who have no answers for you. The training was a joke. What was supposed to be a trainer was someone who stood in the front of the room and complained about policy changes and extra workload. The tax professionals in my office had no right calling themselves professionals. They were completely ghetto, and I was actually embarrassed by the behaviors and comments I witnessed. You are on your own once you start. Don't expect any guidance, until you do something wrong. Then you'll hear about it like you were supposed to know. If H&R Block wants a reputation as a respectable, professional company, they need to pay for and hire quality people. If you have any class whatsoever, you can do much better and will not fit in here.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and hiring standards. Most of the employees I came in contact with were completely unprofessional.