Treat and pay employees like fast food workers

I worked at H&R Block

Pros

Summers off, flexible schedule, short commute

Cons

The hiring process is awful. Everything is supposed to be email and if you don't get all of the emails for whatever reason you will be at a loss. No one calls you. If you need information about training or getting onto the website be prepared to call several different offices to be referred to a bunch of different people who have no answers for you. The training was a joke. What was supposed to be a trainer was someone who stood in the front of the room and complained about policy changes and extra workload. The tax professionals in my office had no right calling themselves professionals. They were completely ghetto, and I was actually embarrassed by the behaviors and comments I witnessed. You are on your own once you start. Don't expect any guidance, until you do something wrong. Then you'll hear about it like you were supposed to know. If H&R Block wants a reputation as a respectable, professional company, they need to pay for and hire quality people. If you have any class whatsoever, you can do much better and will not fit in here.

Increase pay and hiring standards. Most of the employees I came in contact with were completely unprofessional.

Other Reviews for H&R Block

Started well, but the company is in trouble.

Former Employee - Applications Development Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Applications Development Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at H&R Block full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The workers remaining are very competent and good to work with.

Cons

Management has cut back so far that critical systems sometimes have NO IT support.
    Executive leadership that was starting to turn the company around have all left. Current executive management is making the same poor decisions that cost customers and revenue for years.

Stop outsourcing your core competency.
    Stop micromanaging the professional who know what they are doing.

It is great if you have established a good clientele,

Current Employee - Tax Professional  in  Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Professional in Quincy, MA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy working with clients and the flexibility the work brings.

Cons

The commission structure favors experienced and established tax professionals and discourage new ones, especially if you can't put in more than 25 hours in.

There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!