There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

How many tax seasons have you had?

Former Employee - Field Marketing Director in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Field Marketing Director in Kansas City, MO

I worked at H&R Block full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your level, it can be a very nice place to work.

Cons

It's more about tenure than results. Longevity is rewarded over driving results so it becomes a culture of mediocrity. Headquarters is disturbingly political with one click coming to power and firing those they feel aren't united with their click. It has gotten better though. Maybe they are finally stabilizing a bit but they still have a major reorganization every year so you never know from one year to the next if you'll still have a job.

Advice to Management

Reward talent and quit churning your top performers in favor of those more politically connected.

Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block

1. Good part-time job for students

Former Employee - Client Service Professional
    Former Employee - Client Service Professional

I worked at H&R Block part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They encourage growth within the company. I was a client service professional (receptionist) and I was frequently asked to take the tax course and continue working at the office as a tax pro. They work around school schedules. Nice office environment. Coffee is always available. Manager was ok. Easy going environment.

Cons

Very little hours. Favoritism between employees by manager. Some employees would get all the hours during the end of the tax season while others weren't called at all. Some of the tax pros were rude to know why clients didn't show up for appts. and demanded . Some of the clients were rude. They sometimes would take away the chair at the front desk.

Advice to Management

CSP's are the face of this company. Show a little more appreciation and compensation for what we do.

2. Love my job, not my compensation or opportunity for growth.

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If looking for a tax professional career, they are the best in the country. Excellent training, office environment and pay growth opportunity.

Cons

Compensation is poor for work expected; VERY limited opportunities for advancement and definitely need to relocate unless you like in Kansas City, MO where headquarters are.

Advice to Management

Promote more from within... there are many talented, hard working, dedicated employees within your own ranks.