There are newer employer reviews for H&R Block

A great place for learning taxes

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Saint Francis, WI
Current Employee - Tax Associate in Saint Francis, WI

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

H&R Block does a great job with tax education because you pay only $20 fee for as many tax classes as you want to take so sky is the limit for education on taxes. If you were on your own it would probably cost $5000 or more for this kind of tax education. another awesome thing is the software they use is best in the industry it would cost you thousands of dollars to get this kind of software. yes senior tax preparers do get more accounts even entry level preparers complain about this happening but they have built these accounts over the years and have ownership of these accounts as long as you are at H&R Block.

Cons

They need to encourage more people to become enrolled agents and need to have better incentive for preparers to build their business. The pay scale could be better especially in the commission area. back in the day H&R Block had a much more lucrative commission.

have better incentives to become enrolled agents and to build your business. increase commission levels not so much for entry level people but for senior people.

877 Other Employee Reviews for H&R Block (View Most Recent)

The job is sales, not tax prep

Current Employee - Tax Professional
    Current Employee - Tax Professional

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, local and district management. Lots of training for little money after the first year. The nicest clients you could hope for.

Cons

You get hired as a tax professional and then find out you are really a salesperson. First, Block does not believe in hiring a marketing team so they have us deliver flyers. They want us to call every client the first couple of weeks and make them all set up appointments. If they don't, we have to keep calling them back until they do. If that's not bad enough, Block runs a call center in some foreign country that calls the clients more than we do, sets up appointments in the wrong office or when someone isn't working, which means we have an irate client on our hands and we get blamed for it.

When we finally get to do taxes, the push is to sell extras, not just do taxes. Block used to say we wanted to help our clients meet their financial goals by helping them hold on to their refund. Now we want to get every dime out of that refund by letting them have fees come out of it - for an extra price, and sell audit protection that pays their taxes - which rarely does since most mistakes are on their part for not bringing documents in or being honest about dependents. But wait, there's more! Every year they make preparers do free 1040EZ returns and Second Looks reviews to get clients in the door, and not only do preparers not get paid to do these things, it takes time away from working with paying clients. Since it is a full commission job and time is money, it costs us money to do these things for free. Do it if you love doing taxes and helping people. Otherwise there are a lot better employers out there.

Spend some money on marketing teams locally. Mail ads to clients, send things like refrigerator magnets with the closest office phone on it. If you are going to send coupons to the clients, don't reduce our volume by the amount of the coupons. If we give a discount, reduce our commission by the amount of the discount. You want us to get email addresses, so use them to send reminders. People do not like phone calls but most read email.

Not a good choice for new employees

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Flatwoods, KY
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Flatwoods, KY

I worked at H&R Block part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Client's come to you without much marketing effort. The software is cumbersome but gives good results. You can get a small discount on your own tax return.

Cons

After considering all the unpaid time, I only made $5/hr. I had the equivalent of 20+ year of experience. Nearly all the client's were sent to a few coworker's that had worked in that office for many years.
    The training is very basic at all levels. You won't become a tax pro.

Focus on employee retention