Controlled, like a puppet

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is just ok.....(if pay for performance is real/true....pay would be great!

Cons

The performance review process is a joke. Managers know % they plan to give you, way before perf review is even administered. Senior management needs to really examine the quality of managers they have in key positions. The buddy hiring process needs to stop . Perhaps do an targeted anonymous "Managerial Leadership" survey....similar to the Associate Engagement survey.

Advice to Management

Move those bad managers to top of list for next lay off. Stop the politics. WAKE up and really recognize your talented hard workers. Allow employees to manage their own internal career movement. There are a few managers known to intentionally hinder/stop internal transfer by providing untrue negative feedback.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great job if you have the right skill set

Former Employee - Senior Tax Advisor V
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Advisor V

I worked at H&R Block part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good advertising campaigns usually. Brand recognition. Flexible hours for the most part. If you excel in being able to talk with clients on their level, have good keyboarding skills and tax knowledge. Continued education available through online and in person training.

Cons

Pre-season training sessions are extensive and somewhat repetitive. Additional product sales not always welcomed by clients, ie. mortgages, will kits, college kits, investment services and Peace of Mind. The Peace of Mind guarantee makes some clients nervous because we were saying we can make mistakes. Pay contract changes every year. It's always a built in pay cut. Office staffing not always appropriate and is scheduled in the district office. I was frequently alone on busy Saturday mornings to deal with phones, walk ins and the clients at my desk. Too many distractions. Closing was often left to preparers meaning that we were responsible to close out the register. The receptionist usually does this since they were the ones working the drawer up until an hour or so before closing.

Advice to Management

Staff offices with more insight. Pre- clients desires to consider additional products and services. Stop playing around with the compensation packages. I did not return because I lost my grandfathered pay rate due to a season where I was disabled. It's not worth it for me to return based on the new compensation plan. I had a large client following and handled up to 20% of the office volume.

2. Not a good place to work!

Current Employee - Ciient Services Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Ciient Services Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking with clients while they wait for their appointments.

Cons

Very low pay. No more then 20 hours given per week. Tax Professions treat Client Service Reps as though they are intellectually beneath them. Perhaps each office is different, but the one I am in is awful! I dread going into the office each shift. The tension is this office is very thick and I'm sure clients notice it.I would never work for this company again nor would I have my taxes filed my them again.

Advice to Management

Encourage tax pros to show respect for client service reps, the clients will notice tension in the office.