HARMAN

www.harman.com

Company in decline

Pros[automotive division only] Co-workers are friendly and hard working. Patent awards (cash) and the ever-rare spot award (called lightning bolts) that can give out as much as $1,000. Pop is 25 cents for 20oz and you can wear jeans to work 5 days a week.

Cons[automotive division only] Lots. The company is building up it's outsourcing at a break-neck pace. Chine and India are quickly becoming the place to develop products. In addition, the north america automotive division is crammed into several small office buildings around the Farmington Hills area in Michigan. But for many different reasons, Harman is not willing to invest in this site. So parking is an absolute nightmare as more people work in the building than it was supposed to handle.

Also, the senior people who are the most creative and talented have been leaving in a short-period of time( 6 months). In that span of time, very few people have been hired to back-fill the positions. However, the caliber of the people that left was very high. Filling these positions will be difficult if not impossible. Benefits are horrible and you can be expected to pay about 25% more for your medical benefits and it is one of the cheapest plans out there. Having a baby? Expect to pay about $1000 for your out-of-pocket expense! Not the usual $50 - $100 that most other company plans would cover.

Bottom line, this company is on the decline. They are moving there development to low-cost countries as is evident in how little they spend for north american employees. That is why, I believe, all the smart intelligent people are leaving this company to look for a more stable organization. I do not recommend working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice for automotive division: Stop worrying about operating costs and combine all employees into one building. It is a major issue to have the workers so fragmented (4 offices in Michigan, 1 in Indiana, 1 in Kentucky, 2 in Germany). There really should be one site in Germany and one site in Michigan. We could actually share knowledge and be much more efficient at delivering products. Buy out the existing leases and invest in one site that would allow future growth for the company.

Advise for entire company... stop focusing on the short-term and look at long-term goals. Ever project I have ever worked on has focused on current model year and nothing else. Then when the program is done, it's on to the next one. Also, individual teams should hand out rewards (and especially say the words: "Thank You") when team members go above and beyond the call of duty. There are no incentives for working here besides getting your bi-weekly paycheck. Although I will say that some team do reward their teams with free lunches, parties, and small gifts ($20 guft cards). I applaud those teams, however it makes the sting of resentment hurt even worse when other teams are all work. Equality is needed.

This place used to be a fun place to work. Now it is just a place to work.

Shocking Govt like work culture!!! Incompetence with arrogance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

I worked at HARMAN

Pros: Brands, Products history, Compensation and benefits Cons: Dictatorial work culture with management having a factory culture mindset. Respect for the employees is absolutely lacking and people are in for a shock… Advice to Senior Management: Value employees. Empowerment in the centers can be misused to the core. Though a big global org, it is a small start up… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Direction?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HARMAN

Pros: Cool company if they stuck to what they know. Great sounding products, amps,… Cons: Constant change of management after the Harman family was removed. A puppy… Advice to Senior Management: This company still makes some of the best sounding products in the world, but too bad it can not get out of its own… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on HARMAN.

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!