Good Nice superb Very Nice

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at HARMAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Nice superb Very Nice

Cons

Too fast growth lots of challenges

Nothing

Other Reviews for HARMAN

A great place to study and work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at HARMAN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of flexibility in job requirements. Over the dozen or so years I have been here, I have pretty much written my own job description.
    Small side projects became larger projects, become job requirements. I have not had a manager give me 'an assignment' in the last 8-9 years. It is a very self-directed environment.

All the creature comforts are here: free drinks, breakfasts, Summer Outings, Anniversary cruises, etc...
    All the benefits that matter are here: 401k match, insurance plans, profit sharing. Respectable salary

Being a worker-bee with no eye towards management, I am quite happy to do the 9-5, and not think about work at all when I am gone.

Cons

There is not a lot of promotions here.
    That said, I think people come in with weird expectations: It is not high school, you don't get a promotion every year. Realistically, every position I have held here had possibility of being a life long career position.

We are a wee bit conservative.
    Every time that gets me upset, I think to myself "Do you run a half a billion dollar a year company?" The answer has always been no, so I figure the more conservative path that got us here has merit.

Harman Soundcraft/Studer in Potters Bar

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Potters Bar, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potters Bar, England (UK)

I worked at HARMAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

This all relates to working on the factory floor. The hours are pretty flexible and there is no real panic to get work done. You can (within reason) take your time and get the job done right. The atmosphere is friendly and you can have a laugh with your mates or keep yourself to yourself and get on with your work. There is little supervision.

Cons

I have never seen such a badly run Stores in my life. This is a legacy problem created by starting as a small independant company with one set of PN's, being taken over by a huge orginisation and changing PN's, absorbing another company (Studer) changing PN's again and finaly being forced to adopt a worldwide rationalisation of Stores and changing PN's again. Nothing is in the right place in a Stores that is huge in comparison to the size of the operation.

The push to manufacture in China was another disaster. Parts are bought from China and shipped to the UK, they are then shipped to the chinese manufacturer who assembles the PCB's and ships them back to the UK. Often the PCB's are assembled into products that are then sold to China. Mistakes are made at every step and this combined with a huge and badly run Stores means there are massive delays as people hunt for parts or fix stock errors

Relocate the company and use the opportunity to kill off old products and rationalise stores. Get rid of the dead wood.

There are newer employer reviews for HARMAN.

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!