Beware: Absolutely Toxic Environment Inside

Former Employee - Front Office  in  Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Front Office in Dallas, TX

I worked at HBK Capital Management

Pros

The firm definitely takes care of you in terms of monetary compensation, medical and dental benefits, and other benefits that you would expect. They want the best employees and they attract the best by paying way above their competition. They also have great catered lunches every day. Everyone raves about the food - although it's easy to gain a few pounds on the job because it is so good. They also paid for parking which apparently is a definite plus in Dallas, Texas where parking in the downtown and Uptown district is expensive and an absolute luxury to have paid for you.

Cons

The hours are absolutely terrible. Most employees get there around 6:30 or 7:30 in the morning and literally do not leave the office unless headed to an off site meeting during the day until 6 or 7 in the evening or night - remember - lunches are catered so there is no reason for you to leave during the day! Speaking of lunches, this is the downside, while you might get great, great food, you never get to see the light of day during the winter months which can be downright awful. The people are pretty arrogant there. It's one thing to be smart but a whole other thing to be boastful about it. One word sums up the HBK atmosphere - toxic.

My advice to senior management would be to get rid of the severely political atmosphere in the office.

Other Reviews for HBK Capital Management

Bad Timing

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at HBK Capital Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Perks, Compensation, office environment and location

Cons

Bad Market, people are rather full of themselves

Be more training focused

While I don't regret having worked there, I can't recommend it

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HBK Capital Management

Pros

Money is everything at HBK and yes they will pay you well. Do a good job or your bonus will suffer and all it takes is a single minor infraction. They did cater lunch and health benies were ok. Tons of money pumped into technology. Everyone in the office had at least 2 monitors and there were more servers than employees. It is very prestigious to work in the Crescent buildings in Uptown Dallas.
    Severance was very generous.
    Beer Fridays were a cool touch.
    Xmas parties were legendary.
    Any beverage you could want for.

Cons

Mandatory 15% of your base salary goes to a SEP IRA.
    Annual review structure changed to make it hard to even get a 3 out of 5 rating (5=GOD). This was done to limit bonuses but sold as an employee benefit.
    Waist-high cubicles and glass office walls. ZERO privacy, for anyone.
    Culture was stressful, cold, and unfriendly. No one says "hi" passing you in the halls. Your manager is nipping at your heels checking your every move. Don't react fast enough to a problem after-hours and you will probably hear about it on your review.
    Don't you DARE go even slightly against anyone in upper mgmt or you are done for.
    They let many good people go and kept the ingratiators.
    Working at HBK was among the most stressful times in my life. I'm glad I was "good" enough to be hired by them but you couldn't pay me enough to go back.
    Work/life balance is about as bad as it gets.

Let the people you hire do what you hired them to do! Listen to their ideas and take their advice. Stop the knee-jerk/ reactionary policies after any little thing goes wrong.
    Evaluate the true worth of the "yes men" you've hired.
    CTO: You told the entire IT department that it would take many consecutive quarters of down firm performance before there would be any cuts in IT personnel. You then laid off 20% a few weeks later.

There are newer employer reviews for HBK Capital Management.

Worked for HBK Capital Management? Contribute to the Community!