HCC Insurance

www.hcc.com
There are newer employer reviews for HCC Insurance

IT: Penny-wise, Dollar Stupid

I worked at HCC Insurance

Pros

IT employees are provided powerful laptops, large wide-screen monitor, clean working environment. Keurig tea and coffee provided at-no-cost. Vending machines subsidized. Break room is clean, large, very convenient. Parking lot has ample parking--covered parking for managers. IT middle-management is smart, motivated, and generally well-meaning.

Cons

Most of the IT infrastructure is suffering from years of neglect. IT staff are generally not motivated for self-improvement and training is not made available to them. IT budgets are unrealistically small, they want to buy the most expensive equipment without paying for it. There is no tier 1 on-call, the on-call phone rings for any vaguely IT related call and the engineer is expected to route calls they cannot personally resolve. Senior IT Management and the Board do not engage with IT specialists when making sweeping IT decisions. IT Employee turn-over is a significant problem.

36 Other Employee Reviews for HCC Insurance (View Most Recent)

I was only told a half-truth -- make that the quarter-truth about my job duties

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance

Pros

The core IT group in Houston is small and rather friendly. The office area (all cubicles) are clean and plenty of windows to see outside. I missed seeing sunlight throughout my past two jobs. Company subsidized vending machines, clean employee lunch room and all of the gourmet coffee and tea that you can consume.

Cons

I was hired as a SAN Storage Admin -- or so I thought. It was apparent within two weeks that the majority of my job consisted of server system administration duties that fell under the "other duties as assigned" category. The operations team -- my team -- handles all after hours calls for everything. Mandatory monthly maintenance day which includes almost everybody on the team.

My manager and director have worked here slightly longer than myself which makes them feel pressured to pressure my team -- if only indirectly -- to perform. Many people are dissatisfied with their situation. Since I started (2 months ago) three people in IT have quit. Did I mention that the IT team is small? Less than 45 people and shrinking.

Competing IT groups from various subsidiaries make planning for company wide solutions very difficult. A corporate wide desktop roll out of Window 7 is being made sluggish by the requirements that the subs are putting on the roll out team.

I was grateful for this new opportunity, but I feel that the entire truth wasn't revealed to me. Shame on me for not asking more probing questions.

Nothing positive to say.

It was one of the most stressful jobs I ever had

I worked at HCC Insurance

Pros

Nice Offices
    Mostly good coworkers
    Learned about insurance industry
    Overtime permitted for hourly employees
    Good Christmas parties

Cons

Tremendous workload
    Little positive reinforcement but plenty of negative
    Little training on specific job duties
    HIgh turnover
    Many times your work depended on someone else completing their portion before it got to you & it'd come to you really late. You were still criticized by supervisor if you didn't complete it on their time frame
    Favoritism of certain employees allowed them unprofessional behavior (personal phone calls/internet, not doing their work, loud rap music) yet supervisors wouldn't do anything about it
    Individual managers would interpret rules, vacation policies, benefits (ex tuition reimbursement) differently depending on how they felt
    Changed rules about promotions after you already accepted the job

Survey employees about management & how it could be improved
    Hire more employees to reduce workload
    Provide positive atmosphere in which to work instead of through intimidation, criticism, & fear
    Follow the same work rules/benefits for everyone

There are newer employer reviews for HCC Insurance