HCC Insurance

www.hcc.com
  www.hcc.com
There are newer employer reviews for HCC Insurance

HCC did more for my career that any other single company

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the IT department we had a large amount of training available to us. Granted, we had to be ambitious enough to ask for it. Not a big cost for valuable training. HCC allowed me to get a vast amount of exposure to other technologies as the flat organizational structure promote cross technology cooperation. There was some political drama, but those managers and leads are no longer at the company. A lot of liberties were given to resources who had the ambition to think outside of the box and to look towards new technologies. The constant interaction with C-Level executives provided a lot of transparency.

Cons

While the pay may had not been the best, the training options more than made up for it.
Subsidiaries can be somewhat abrasive and sometimes outright deceiving, but we had a lot of support from local management allowing resources like myself to stand up for what we new was technically sound.
Change control was a little informal at the time (excel spreadsheet) but the change manager does well with the tools provided to him.

Thank You! My time there has help me become the Virtual Architect that I am today. If it were not for you guys i would still be stuck in an oil patch somewhere!

36 Other Employee Reviews for HCC Insurance (View Most Recent)

They need to do more to catch up with the rest of the industry.

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Early release before a holiday. That is about all that I can commend them for, however that is pretty typical in most area workplaces.

Cons

No work from home options, no flexibility in time and a culture seeped in 80s management techniques. The favorites game is obvious and the salary is paltry for the industry. Although they have good ratings from the financial standpoint, that is awarded on the backs of lower level employees who are treated as cogs in a machine- easily replaceable so no investment is thrown in their direction.

Top down overhaul. It's about more than just the bottom line- as your competitors have learned, happy employees are productive employees.

Inequality, Antiquated, Lack of Female Executives

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 7.5-hour work day, early release before holidays, nice employee parties, free sodas, casual Fridays, flat organizational structure allows many non-management positions to work directly with executive management.

Cons

Antiquated, extremely conservative, stuck in the 60s with only a select few "favorites" allowed to telecommute or work part time even though it wasn't allowed for anyone else. Very strict "business casual" attire. Extremely slow to adopt new technology. Wasteful with money by flying employees all over the place for pointless meetings rather than using technology. Very few females in executive roles and women are very unlikely to advance. Flat organizational structure allows little room for advancement. After a decade of employment there with nothing but stellar reviews by management and peers, was told "you should just be happy you get to interact everyday with executive management" when inquiring about advancement opportunities. Quick to turn on former dedicated employees once they retire or leave the company.

Resist showing favoritism and demonstrating inequality amongst employees. Consider recognizing dedicated, proactive employees by creating new titles in lieu of a true promotion since there are few promotion opportunities available. Allow everyone the opportunity to telecommute or dress more casually. A little humility goes a long way.

There are newer employer reviews for HCC Insurance