HCG Healthcare Communications Group

There are newer employer reviews for HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Decent Small Company

Former Employee - Data Analyst in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Data Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good close knit company with a daily morning meeting for all hands status update which is very beneficial to learn of all opportunities.

Cons

Not much room for growth, fairly high turnover, extremely low salary for positions. Not a huge profit business model. Not very tech savvy group of individuals.

10 Other Employee Reviews for HCG Healthcare Communications Group (View Most Recent)

One of the poorest run companies I have ever had the misfortune of working at

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was close to my house. It also allowed me to work in an industry I was not familiar with - recruiting subjects for pharmaceutical clinical trials. That's about all the pros I can think of.

Cons

I worked at HCG in early 2005. Clearly, things have not improved - they've only gotten worse. Management was extremely punitive. No training was ever offered to employees (I had no background in the field). You were literally thrown into the job with no background as to what you would be doing, how you should be doing it, and who you would be working with at the pharmaceutical companies. Policies and procedures were non-existent - and yet you were excessively micromanaged. How you can be micromanaged with no policies and procedures in place, you may ask? You were micromanaged based on the arbitrary will of the manager who decided you were screwing up - even though you had no training to determine the correct and appropriate way to do things. I lasted at the company 3 weeks before they told me I was lazy and "not a team player". I agree completely with a previous poster who wrote "There was almost no process organization in place. Managers apparently felt this was not part of their job and were confident that their time was better spent lecturing employees in endless meetings about what they were doing wrong." If you get a job at this company, expect to be demeaned and humiliated by management. They seem to enjoy it. One last point: I had some ethical concerns regarding this company. I was actually ordered to go into a chat-room for parents who had bipolar children under the age of 13; pretend I was a parent who had a bipolar child; and then encourage other parents of these bipolar children to "try this new pharmaceutical drug! It worked wonders on my child!" I was then advised to post the hyperlink to where HCG was recruiting bipolar children under the age of 13 for clinical trials for a new pharmaceutical drug. I refused to do this. I was told I was not a "team player" and I was told by management that they couldn't believe I had ever gone to a top tier college because clearly I was lazy. I have never been spoken to that way before, and I have not been spoken to that way since in any other job. Do not work for this company, no matter what you do!!!!!! I wish this website had been around in 2005. If I had seen posts like this, I would have run in the opposite direction!!

You may actually want to train employees. Create FAIR policies and procedures. And implement process organizations. You may also want to seriously "change-out" your senior management, including the CEO, CFO and CIO. They are unethical and seem to take great pleasure in being punitive and demeaning to employees.

Very poorly managed company with high turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at HCG Healthcare Communications Group

Pros

Company located in a nice area of El Segundo near the 405 and LAX. The office itself is comfortable and clean.

Cons

The management team at this company was one of the worst I have ever worked under. The level of micromanagement was above and beyond levels I have previously experienced. Managers were generally punitive in their attitudes toward employees and deadlines were consistently unrealistic. Training was poor or nonexistent. There was almost no process organization in place. Managers apparently felt this was not part of their job and were confident that their time was better spent lecturing employees in endless meetings about what they were doing wrong. Employees spent absurd amounts of time in management required meetings during the day so that the actual work day often did not begin until about 3:00 or 4:00pm. I was also told by the hiring personnel that the hours were generally 9 - 5 for everyone, which was a lie. (I worked an average of 55 - 60 hours a week.)

Put excellent work processes in place and spend adequate amounts of time training employees one on one in these processes. Then trust employees to do the jobs you have trained them well to do and show gratitude for a job well done. Do not berate employees for making mistakes in group meetings. Consider actually taking the time to read the book that the CEO gives to new employees, "Gung Ho", which provides some great advice to new managers. I thought it quite ironic, by the way, that the CEO gave a helpful book on management techniques to new employees who were about to be managed very poorly by managers, most of whom admitted to never reading it.

There are newer employer reviews for HCG Healthcare Communications Group