HCL Technologies

A Place to work, but poor Sal package

Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies

Pros

An Employee Friendly company,
Good Projects
Good Learning
Skilled staff
Helpful co workers
very good benefits
everything good except Salary.

Cons

Poor pay structure
You have to fight a lot to get your Salary reviewed.
Competetors pay much better than HCL for the same skilled professional.

Please review your compensation structure, you are loosing many potential employees.

3280 Other Employee Reviews for HCL Technologies (View Most Recent)

Nightmare of HR incompetency

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

I didn't have high expectations, I've worked for contracting companies for 12 years. I thought of HCL as just another contracting companies.

There are some people in India that are responsive and will try to help

Cons

Originally I was promised my first check in 2 weeks, the 4 weeks and then 6 weeks. HCL doesn't pay certain contractors for the first 4 to 6 weeks. I was mislead several times on this.
    After 30 days on the client site i wrote up 30 issues that I'd had problems with and sent the list to my onsite American manager. the manager appoligized then transferred me to a manager in India.
    The managers and support team are mostly in India (The recruiting teams are in the US) so of course are 12.5 hours behind.
    Originally it took 3.5 weeks to get my security badge. Without the badge I couldn't used the computer they gave me or access the network or even the building. Yet my client manager expected me to be up and running by day 3 (which is a normal expectation.) I finally had to bring my own computer to work on tasks in order to keep up with work. Then get other workers to help me with tasks that could only be on the network (including recieving emails)
    Finally got my badge by working around my management team and found some sympathetic people in security.
    About 2 months into my contract I found that there was a conflict with my managment team because HCL had promised to update me on certain issues in the hierarchy and client process. So the onsite manager was surprised when I didn't know who my client manager was (Turned out to be a guy in India who was having family problems for 2 months and wasn't following up with anyone)

I could go on and on... the problems with the contract wasn't with the client, but with the expecations and promised by HCL.

The final nail in the coffin was when the project ended. HCL had promised to find another contract, but the manager in India admitted that I shouldn't expect anything. Then HCL sent a letter saying I had resigned to the state so that I couldn't get unemployment benefits without argueing with the state.

Oh... and I forgot. I still haven't recieved a W2 form for my taxes. The phone numbers for the company have been changed, the website contact email isn't responding to my request and all the emails I've sent that are on my pay stubs have come back saying the emails aren't working emails any longer.

I am from the United States and not of Indian Decent. I often felt that there was a great deal of importance spent in leveraging employees (Both Americans and Indians) for the betterment of HCL. Many of the Indians in the group where happy to be working... so didn't complain about these things. Though I did see that it affected thier dedication.

I felt that the extent of managment's concern about thier employees well being was just words. In reality there was nothing to back up what managment was saying. I felt that being an American, I was treated with less respect than the Indian Employees. I also felt though that the Indian employees were treated with much less respect than is accorded by law by American employers.

I have worked on 8 plus international teams. This is the first time I've been the minority on a team and I did not enjoy it all. I think there was a huge cultural difference between Indian workers and American workers that HCL chose to ignore. On other International projects the differences were understood and teams were built to help bridge those differences.

Because of this, the cross cultural teams are very inefficient and frustrating to work with. The Indian people can be very competent. Individually I have worked with world class leaders from other countries like India and I have a lot of respect. As a group there seems to be a problem. There are still good workers but the vetting for Indian workers does not seem to be as high for Indian workers. there is a culture within the group to protect each other even when someone is clearly not competent. As teams grow larger this means more incompetence. HCL chooses to ignore this. In the process does thier employee (Indian and Non-Indian) a disfavor. Not only does the employee suffer but so too does the HCL customer suffer because they are not aware of the problem and have no way to remedy the situations that come up.

There are many exceptions but as a whole, the Indian work force is still learning. Managment styles are often micro management styles from the 40's and 50's. I've seen High level managers pushing asside the technicians two or three managment levels lower and taking over troubleshooting difficult technical problems.

Anyone walking into this type of contract needs to understand that there is a whole different managment style, employee trust and expectation compared to an American managed organization. At HCL I felt that this cause a 30% or more lost in individual productivity across the teams. I felt this was the reason many managers were very frustrated by the team results.

Satisfied

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies

Pros

Good culture of work
    Single status policies

Cons

I have seen very often that people with poor skills stay and people with good skills leave, all because of the money.
    Poor management decisions.

Job security,less pay,Biased apprisals,highly fluctuation HR polices,Pay cuts during recession,layoff s during recession,less clients. please take measures to overcome thisThe "do not counter offer" policy does not work in my country. People with great skills left because of this, which has hit directly in the company performance.

There are newer employer reviews for HCL Technologies