HCR ManorCare

www.hcr-manorcare.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for HCR ManorCare

Hired for 12 hr. fri., sat., sun. every weekend, however this did not work out as they were hiring new employees, no exp

Former Employee - RN Nurse Supervisor
Former Employee - RN Nurse Supervisor

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff that had been there for yrs., were very knowledgeable, and eager to fill in when needed for staffing on the weekend, as the census changed. DON very eager to learn the new position she just accepted. Accepted new ideas I had to share with thanks. Worked well together.

Cons

In the short time I was there, they went through 3 administrations, Corporate sent in anmin. to assist until they finally hired a permanent Administrator. They also hired new DON, 2 new ADON's, and were always requesting me to work over to complete projects they had started, and needed finished by the next day. My shift was 7a-7p, however rarely left prior to 9-12a. Although I assisted with the changeover process, both the paperwork in preparation for the actual night, there were 2 mths, which they asked me to work through my shift and into the night shift to assist with the actual task of changing out the MAR's and TAR's. Asked me to complete shifts on the floor/ with cart and full pt. load with treatments and meds, when we were unable to find a replacement for that nurse's position. By the time I returned in the a.m., to begin my 7 a.m. -7 p.m. shift, I received very little sleep. The nurses often would not work as a team, this included the CNA's, and after being there a couple mths., they became more amicable with each other, and accepted the inservices I provided for them re: assisting pts., even if not on their assignment, assisting other nurses with incident reports, or in having to send out pts. for ER evaluations, or assisting nurses with paperwork involved with admissions as no nurse was to do more than one new admit. on her shift, even though she would take report from the nurse who did do the assessment, and enter the info. into the computer. I did all of the new orders on new admits, and verified them with the PCP, and faxed off to Pharmacy, and obtained necessary authorizations for narcotic medications from Pharm., so we could pull these from our EDK. I worked well with the team, it just took a while to get them to play as a team, as when I started, and mths. into my employ there, we were utilizing Agency nurses, who would come to do one shift, and perhaps we would never see them again, and they were unfamiliar with our policies/ paperwork/ etc. In all of this there were also multiple supervisory tasks that needed to be attended to. Workman's comp. paperwork when employee injured on job. Assisting in kitchen, when someone didn't show to assist with meal prep. or serving, tours for potential new admissions, taking calls from acute care facilities for possible placement, and looking up on line with the hospital's computer system, to see if final orders were written, and possible conditions that our facility was not prepared to accept. I loved the challenge, and would always look forward to going to work, however when I had to work late into the night, and was able to only receive 4 hrs. sleep prior to returning, and no relief in sight for the dilemma, I needed a change. The units initially had unit directors, however in the last 2 mths., they did not, and I had to cover for their work also. I was informed by the administration, that I was to base myself on the SNF to do the nurses orders, call labs, xrays, answer the phone, and write new and transcribe all orders received during the weekend, when during the week they had a full time nurse doing this job.

Encourage employees to work as a team. When utilizing weekend supervisors, that work 12 hrs.., and work every weekend, do not expect them to finish out someone elses shift with a cart and treatments, along with documentation. Provide more orientation to their new hires who would be expected to do change over at the end of the mth., and do not staff any last day of the mths. with nurses who have never done a change over. Respect the assistance the receive from their employees, and utilize spirit building techniques to boost their outlook in difficult or extremely busy times with seasonal influx of pts.

309 Other Employee Reviews for HCR ManorCare (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for HCR ManorCare