HCSC

www.hcsc.com
  www.hcsc.com
There are newer employer reviews for HCSC

Lack of Proper Management Leads to a Major Disappointment!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at HCSC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is pretty good, even though the cost of medical insurance for the employees is steadily rising. Amenities in a Chicago location are impressive and include health club and cafeteria.

Cons

Incompetent, often non-existent management leading to a dismal lack of caring mentoring, and professional growth opportunities. There is lack of vision from the management as well.

Take a look who is managing the resources. You will find too many cases when completely incompetent people occupy the spots. The have no people or management skills, avoid their subordinates, do not understand the function of the their area and, therefore, are not capable of providing leadership and vision. Bottom line: the situation is a shame and something needs to be done to change it.

202 Other Employee Reviews for HCSC (View Most Recent)

Wash, rinse, repeat

I have been working at HCSC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Any pro I had previously come up with was quickly eradicated from my thought process as soon as I started working there. Oh wait, I take that back - Starbucks.

Cons

U.S.A. sweat shop for employees/contractors. In my tenure there I've witnessed the following:
    * 3 highly effective contractors get walked out because of the political rhetoric from the business leads.
    * contractors get the boot or "talked to" because they asked for trivial time off for family reasons.
    * three full time Managers quit, one without even having another job to transition to. That speaks volumes.
    * blame game / finger pointing played at it's best. And guess what, it's never their fault.
    * absolutely zero mentoring
    * ruling by intimidation - nebulous emails where absolutely no determination can be deduced if there's a real issue at hand or your the next casualty of the blame game.
    * intimidation tactics to the team and I quote "If I'm taken down because this project fails I will be taking others with me, I won't go alone". And this my friends was from an officer of the company.
    * definitely, unequivocally a who you know environment

Buy a clue - develop a clue - but get a clue.....
    Ruling by intimidation belongs back in the mid-evil era... oh wait.. that's the era your in. Come to the now's... where happy employees are productive employees.
    Eradicate the dead weight - get new blood in - be creative, innovative and the most talented people will seek you out.
    Eliminate the process for process sake.
    Put politics aside and create a dependency on the expertise of the people you brought in for the job.
    Be a leader not a survivor in your industry.
    I've had BCBS forever --- not so much anymore.

Treadmill

Former Employee - Business IT in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business IT in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCSC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New building is nice and it has been more productive to bring business and IT into the same space. Co-workers are generally very nice and supportive, but I think this mostly stems from the misery loves company theory.

Cons

As stated by others, employee reviews are an absolute joke. Management will tell you that they are not allowed to reflect your true rating if it is good (now if it is bad that is entirely different). The goal is to make all reviews as equal as possible due to how raises and even promotions are done. There is a tremendous amount of nepotism that occurs within this organization and it shocks me that indivduals get away with it. You can go from being a "star" player for 5 straight years to being one minute from a box and walk out the door based on who your mangement is and because this can change on a whim, you are at the mercy of varied attitudes and personalities that teh employee has to adjust to, not management.

Provide a medium for true and accurate 180 degreee reviews between employee and management. Provide better management training to supervisors and above.

There are newer employer reviews for HCSC