There are newer employer reviews for HDR

Experiences Vary

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Fair compensation, benefits, hiring process through HQ was excellent. Majority of coworkers were great to work with. Projects can be interesting to work on, when they have projects to work on.

Cons

Seeking an innovative, collaborative environment? Inspirational management? Be careful which office/department you end up working in. Some are behind the technology and system efficiencies curve. High overhead limits competitiveness. Parochial local management.

reviews filtered by
  1. OK

Former Employee - Substation Project Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Substation Project Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HDR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of interesting and unique projects that you get to work on, many of which you wouldn't have the opportunity unless you worked at a consulting firm. Pay was average for a consulting firm.

Cons

Layoffs are always a concern when working at a consulting firm. While I personally did not experience this it is demoralizing to see others get the boot all the same. It was also very difficult to get completely involved with the project given that you are typically only involved with the design of the project. I have always been a person that likes to do the design and help implement it in the field. This is not a reflection on HDR specifically more of a generalization of most engineering firms as a whole.

Take your lead engineers advice on hiring younger engineers more seriously. They are the ones that will have to mentor them throughout the next several years.

2. Extremely rewarding internship to see all aspects of the company

Former Intern - Chemical Engineering Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Intern - Chemical Engineering Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HDR as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They give you real work to do as an intern and not just busy work. They also are a very professional but casual company and value each and every employee.

Cons

During my internship, I was not always busy with project work because I would have to wait for our clients to get back to us. During this down time, I wish I could have had more tasks to complete.

There are newer employer reviews for HDR