Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Benefits comparable with other financial organizations They promote from within

Cons

I wish that we were in other near by cities near other government agencies

Advice to Management

Continue to move us upward

Other Employee Reviews for HEW Federal Credit Union

Chaos at most times followed by long periods of senior management on vacation.

Current Employee - Vice President in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The city in DC and surrounding Virginia/Maryland areas is very pretty and offers a plethora of outdoor activities and city happenings within a short drive or regional rail. I love what I do and enjoy doing it when I am allowed to actually use all of my skills I have obtained and are required of my position. There is so much work to be done that anyone who desires to work on many different things not in your direct area will love being surrounded by endless projects.

Cons

Remember the scene near the start in the movie V for Vendetta when the 5-6 departments heads are being interrogated by the over-all leader; and one of them provides his professional analysis and the over-all leader in charge says, spare us your professional analysis they are irrelevant. This sums up HEW culture perfectly. Projects never end, there seems to be no positive outcome when they do and they often end with half of what we could have done because we are told we dont have the money. Advice from senior management is lacking in the form of growth within your position and allowing you to take courses off-site to help you and the organization. There is no set salary structure, reviews are not completed thoroughly and often late. When I offer advice to senior management it is often used against me at some point or others take credit. I do not trust most of the staff and especially no senior management to confide in them on any matter being there is no HR department to manage laws and regulations. It always seems to be raining at the HQ no matter how good the weather outside; senior management is rarely if ever in a good mode and thus the entire environment reeks of negativity and frowns. Our membership base has long since gone to other organizations to build true relationships as senior management eroded all the relationships prior created over 15 years ago. Problem is nothing has changed in many years here and now they may be trying to change many pieces at once but still with some of the wrong core issues and the people running it who really do not want to change their own ways being it will expose what a shame they have puled over on the board, staff, and community for so many years. No one can seem to get more than a day or two off in a row unless you are senior management; they are gone for several weeks at a time, sometimes entire months several times a year. Nothing gets done during this time because no one has the authority to make any real decisions or spend money.

Advice to Management

My advice to a small few senior managers would be to retire. The other managers need to take courses on how the lead and manage staff. Hire a true formally trained VP of HR (part of the senior team) and allow them to create an environment of trust, dedicated staff, reporting directly to senior management. The board must bring in true experienced leadership or we will continue to fade-away as a valid partner in the community. Board, stop spending money on consultants, you are not large and they don't know all of your business issues. Allow the people in the positions they are professionals in to do their job and make decisions. Hire the right people to make the changes from within; this is what you pay them for. Simply changing the business name and tweaking marketing/business development is not the total anecdote, think bigger and more wisely and save some of the good parts of the legacy you have created by showing you know how to build for the future.

2. The worst executive level staff ever encountered in almost 30years in the industry

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have already spent too much time trying to think of one, moving on to the next question

Cons

Senior staff tries to pit staff against each other, does not want staff talking to each other if they can not at least see you if not hear you. This is also true at the Christmas party. Senior staff will assign a task to you then ask you why are you doing what you are doing. If you attempt to do what is best for the company and it's members and it may expose the ineffeincies of the executive staff they will start making things up to attempt to put you in your place and if it doesn't stick the CEO may start accusing you of not liking her or another member of the management staff. Executive staff has been known to hide behind office barriers and eavesdrop. the CEO spends a mojority of her day watching tv and listening to employees phone calls etc, etc, etc

Advice to Management

Retire or at least attempt to learn. Stop giving those expensive gifts to the board members. It may help secure your position but it is also forbidden.