There are newer employer reviews for HEW Federal Credit Union

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union

Pros

Benefits comparable with other financial organizations
They promote from within

Cons

I wish that we were in other near by cities near other government agencies

Continue to move us upward

10 Other Employee Reviews for HEW Federal Credit Union (View Most Recent)

Chaos at most times followed by long periods of senior management on vacation.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union

Pros

The city in DC and surrounding Virginia/Maryland areas is very pretty and offers a plethora of outdoor activities and city happenings within a short drive or regional rail.
    I love what I do and enjoy doing it when I am allowed to actually use all of my skills I have obtained and are required of my position.
    There is so much work to be done that anyone who desires to work on many different things not in your direct area will love being surrounded by endless projects.

Cons

Remember the scene near the start in the movie V for Vendetta when the 5-6 departments heads are being interrogated by the over-all leader; and one of them provides his professional analysis and the over-all leader in charge says, spare us your professional analysis they are irrelevant. This sums up HEW culture perfectly.
    Projects never end, there seems to be no positive outcome when they do and they often end with half of what we could have done because we are told we dont have the money.
    Advice from senior management is lacking in the form of growth within your position and allowing you to take courses off-site to help you and the organization.
    There is no set salary structure, reviews are not completed thoroughly and often late.
    When I offer advice to senior management it is often used against me at some point or others take credit.
    I do not trust most of the staff and especially no senior management to confide in them on any matter being there is no HR department to manage laws and regulations.
    It always seems to be raining at the HQ no matter how good the weather outside; senior management is rarely if ever in a good mode and thus the entire environment reeks of negativity and frowns.
    Our membership base has long since gone to other organizations to build true relationships as senior management eroded all the relationships prior created over 15 years ago.
    Problem is nothing has changed in many years here and now they may be trying to change many pieces at once but still with some of the wrong core issues and the people running it who really do not want to change their own ways being it will expose what a shame they have puled over on the board, staff, and community for so many years.
    No one can seem to get more than a day or two off in a row unless you are senior management; they are gone for several weeks at a time, sometimes entire months several times a year. Nothing gets done during this time because no one has the authority to make any real decisions or spend money.

My advice to a small few senior managers would be to retire. The other managers need to take courses on how the lead and manage staff. Hire a true formally trained VP of HR (part of the senior team) and allow them to create an environment of trust, dedicated staff, reporting directly to senior management. The board must bring in true experienced leadership or we will continue to fade-away as a valid partner in the community. Board, stop spending money on consultants, you are not large and they don't know all of your business issues. Allow the people in the positions they are professionals in to do their job and make decisions. Hire the right people to make the changes from within; this is what you pay them for. Simply changing the business name and tweaking marketing/business development is not the total anecdote, think bigger and more wisely and save some of the good parts of the legacy you have created by showing you know how to build for the future.

Not really a challenging place to work, slow to change methods.

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is average not poor. Nice staff but they are poorly educated in job roles and experiences. 9-5 day, easy work.

Cons

No raises or bonuses are bad. Benefits are poor. Management talk as if they own us and personal lives. Offices are old.

Keep trying to change. Hire educated people. Do more doing and less planning about day to day things staff handle. Stop sweating the small stuff.

There are newer employer reviews for HEW Federal Credit Union

Worked for HEW Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!