HM Treasury
www.hm-treasury.gov.uk London, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

Interesting place to work. Could and should be so much better.

Policy Advisor (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at HM Treasury full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of responsibility early on and this particularly shows when you work with other Government Departments.

Variety of jobs in many different policy areas.

Treasury sits at the heart of Government and if you like politics, come Budget time, it can be a very exciting place to be.

ConsPay. Management have been dancing around this for years but the simple fact is for the level of responsibility we have and the work we do, we are poorly paid. Of course this works in senior management's favour as work at Ranges D and E (just below Senior Civil Service) level is extremely competitive. But this has bred an environment where to prove how good you are, you have to show that someone else is rubbish and there is a great deal of sycophancy or 'game playing.' Normal, you may think but a key criticism of Treasury policy development in many quarters is that few are willing to challenge the orthodoxy - to get ahead you need to nod your head and agree with everything senior management says, even if you know they are wrong. The work we do (tax and spend) is too important to be left to the whims of the uber ambitious few.

There is a very much a 'Treasury type' and cliquishness in many Groups and teams. Bad luck if you don't fit in.

Lack of a world view. The demograph Treasury attracts (or chooses to select) means that you will time and time again come across individuals with no 'life experience' beyond a very comfortable upbringing and university. In many areas there is little appreciation for the real world impact of policies or a willingness to even try and understand. External stakeholders and other government departments criticise Treasury's lack of experience and understanding time and time again but there doesn't appear to be a willingness to address this.

Biannual appraisal process means there is a tendency among management to wait until appraisal time before letting you know that you did something wrong or there was/is a better way of doing it. Continuous feedback is much more useful.

Level of staff turnover is diabolical.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking in cliches. Yes Treasury is an interesting place to work but that doesn't mean we want to work for free.

Senior Civil Servants on £100k+ pa stop telling us we're all in this together. We know we're not so please don't insult our intelligence.

If you truly want staff to have a better work life balance - do something about it i.e. better resource teams. If not, stop encouraging something you know is unattainable in an environment like Treasury.

For "A" personalities who want the opportunitiy to make a difference, but beware limited real-world understanding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at HM Treasury

Pros: Dynamic and constantly evolving atmosphere and work. Treasury has become a place for crisis management over the past few years and it… Cons: Upward progression has become stymied because of the limited number of SCS roles and there is a certain 'Treasury type' who tend to attain those… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

POOR

Senior Adviser (Current Employee)

I have been working at HM Treasury

Pros: Interesting policy problems, and flexitime Cons: bad pay, no promotion prospects, politicians! Lack of moral among… Advice to Senior Management: Look at the level of staff turnover and think that… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on HM Treasury.

Worked for HM Treasury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HM Treasury reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HM Treasury CEO George Osborne. All reviews posted anonymously by HM Treasury employees.