HMSHost

www.hmshost.com
  www.hmshost.com
There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

Very stressful and long hours

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HMSHost

Pros

Stable company to work for
Pay is better than normal
Benifits are good and employees have benifits as well
Can be a long term career
employee and Manager turnover rate is low

Cons

Long work days
Very early mornings
Customers are rude
Computers are out of date
Stressful work enviorment
Extreamly busy at all times
Leave your house early.. Very early its going to take you forever
Did i say customers are rude
No monthly bonus program
Be prepared to work all holidays

Offer more of a "quality of life work environment" for employees and management

208 Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost (View Most Recent)

Not worth working for if you expect to be supported by your superiors

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at HMSHost

Pros

Pay was higher than expected, staff was very cordial and helpful during transitional period.

Cons

Lack of a concrete manager training program. For a company that expects it managers to manage high volume, multiple outlet operations you would think a two month management training program would be standard fair. This was not the case. You receive a couple days of "following another manager" and then you are let go and expected to get the culture and ways of HMSHost. Then when you become overwhelmed they bring you down for a talk that has HR present so they can document for your file to give the impression they are trying to help you.

Communication is horrible as emails are received continually from upper management, hr and accounting. Each is high priority and requires immediate attention and when you can't keep up you are looked down upon. When new programs are rolled out you get the information the day of the roll out or after. There are no meetings to discuss new procedures or these roll outs. Instead you get forwarded emails with "make it happen". This is all while you are doing your daily audits and controls. It seems at this location LP is the biggest focus. The overall theme is all staff are stealing and they need to be punished. In the ten years I have been a food service manager I have fired only a handful of people and have only documented another handful. Here in three months I fired or was part of firing at least four employees and writing up at least a dozen. The atmosphere is negative and there is no support.

To make matters worse teamwork on the side of management is non existent. Every manager is so worried about losing their job they make sure to cover themselves by throwing other managers under the bus to make themselves look better. Backstabbing is encouraged by the upper management. Support from the branch manager is non existent with staff. The staff feel they can take any problem to her instead of going to the department head. She then listens to them and takes action instead of referring back to their manager to solve the issue. This promotes no support or respect for her team and leads to her managers being ineffective on the floor as every decision is challenged and taken to her.

On top of that you are ignored if you confront her on this as I did when I asked that she encourage the staff to take their issues to the department head instead of going straight to her. This would show teamwork and support in her managers. Instead she is telling her staff she has no faith in her managers and that they can do whatever they want. In my area my staff ran the restaurant and when I tried to change it I got back lash.

Of course when you are having issues they make sure to cover the butts with statements that say:

Well we told you it would be different than street operations.

We informed you that our training program is self motivated and we gave you the book.

Well you are a high performing manager that is why we hired you. We don't understand why you can't keep up with our demand. The manager you took over for has not been fully staffed on managers and he did fine. (of course he has been there for over 2 years ahead of me and totally understands the HMSHost way of doing things but they dont' look at how he has brought the operation down in standards and that was why we kept getting complaints)

Overall this company at this location doesn't focus on development at all. This is the one thing that would take care of all their LP issues as staff would be happier, managers would be amazing as they would be trained appropriately and the operation would be at a higher level than it is now.

When training consists of emails, you know something is going to happen badly. Through this I have learned to ask in interviews if there is a formal training program.

Since there is a relationship with Starbucks, you would think training would be incredible here. HMSHost needs to spend less time focusing on "Capturing" sales and more on developing their leadership. Spend the extra time and money to have a formal training program for you highest dollar asset, your managers. This will ensure higher degrees of performance, "Capturing" of more sales and larger growth. Fear is now way to run a business and everyday I went to work I feared I would be fired. I never believed the other managers when they told me the same things I put here.
    Remember as senior managers you take responsibility for each associate and when you lose your focus on teamwork and communication you will lose your business.

I learned quiet a lot at HMSHOST

Current Employee - Staff Accountant II in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant II in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at HMSHost

Pros

HMSHOST is a very friendly work environment and very flexible work schedule. Family oriented and great opportunity for career advancement. Lots of diversity in the population of employees. free parking and easy access. like a big family. high employee loyalty and retention.

Cons

the salary is not very attractive if you started right after school. the pay raise is not too good. You can get lucky if you are already experience from somewhere else before joining.

some managers hinder their employee progress by sometimes stopping them to move to other department. My advice to management is to stop this practice as if someone has done the same to them in the past they would not have been managers.

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost