There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

Okay to work for chance for advancement if there are openings.

Former Employee - Host in Newark, NJ
Former Employee - Host in Newark, NJ

I worked at HMSHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, sick days, vacation days, health, dental, and vision benefits, chance for advancement, good co workers, decent schedule, some decent managers, 401k

Cons

Pay was low, Union dues, cost of health benefits, managers favored some people over others, some of the managers did not know protocal of running a restaurant. Some managers sat down all day and did nothing. Servers would try to boss you around and tell you that you were seating certain people a certain way and yell at you. Did not really promote from with in.

Advice to Management

Work a little harder, write up bad behaivor listen to the lower employees. Move people to positions they ask for if qualified. Need to learn ins and outs of the business they are in.

Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost

Worst job of my life.

Former Employee - Barista in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Barista in Newark, DE

I worked at HMSHost part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food every shift. The friends I made at my job. The job itself.

Cons

The managers are just as old as you (20-24) and they completely talk down to you and make you feel way less then a person. I was constantly harassed how I was not needed in the company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, become trained, and don't take offense when your baristas know more than you do.

2. Even a one star rating is way more than HMSHost deserves.

Current Employee - Fast Food Attendant in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Fast Food Attendant in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HMSHost is usually good about working around any school schedule as long as they are informed of the employees needs ahead of time.

Cons

Unfortunately, HMSHost see absolutely no value in their employees. They have no empathy for any difficulties that arise in one of their employees life, specifically relating to attendance. If you get sick, even if you have a doctors note, you are expected to be at work. This includes having contagious illnesses such as strep throat, sinus infections, or the flu. This attitude is particularly concerning seeing as the job in question is primarily food preparation. Employees are the subject of punitive action upon failing to show up for work for ANY reason. Have a car accident on your way to work? Write up. Your mother has a heart attack and you're in the hospital by her side? Write up. Your child comes down with pneumonia and needs care? Write up. Six write ups and you're out. Even with HMSHost's tacky and classless policies on attendance, even worse is the workplace environment. Not only does higher management support hostility toward, gossip about, and biased treatment of employees, they actively encourage it. They fully support lower management picking favorites and antagonizing those who do not make the 'favorite' list. When informed of multiple transgressions in appropriate employee/supervisor etiquette, higher management will shrug it off as an overreaction of the employee. Even when they receive multiple reports from multiple employees of the exact same behavior coming from the exact same person. In my 2 years there, the ethics hotline has been called numerous times, at least two investigations conducted and countless reports made by employees stating the misconduct of managers. In general, HMSHost has been the most dissatisfying workplace I have ever been in. The environment is constantly hostile and the extremely slight increase over minimum wage is in no way worth the stress one has to suffer on a daily basis. I would highly recommend to any job seeker to spare themselves the distress of dealing with such ungrateful, uncaring, disgusting company.

Advice to Management

There really is no advice to give. It would take a full shut down and purge of management to fix the plethora of problems this company is currently experiencing.