There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

Okay to work for chance for advancement if there are openings.

Former Employee - Host  in  Newark, NJ
Former Employee - Host in Newark, NJ

I worked at HMSHost full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch, sick days, vacation days, health, dental, and vision benefits, chance for advancement, good co workers, decent schedule, some decent managers, 401k

Cons

Pay was low, Union dues, cost of health benefits, managers favored some people over others, some of the managers did not know protocal of running a restaurant. Some managers sat down all day and did nothing. Servers would try to boss you around and tell you that you were seating certain people a certain way and yell at you. Did not really promote from with in.

Work a little harder, write up bad behaivor listen to the lower employees. Move people to positions they ask for if qualified. Need to learn ins and outs of the business they are in.

192 Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost (View Most Recent)

This could be awesome but it's disappointing

I have been working at HMSHost for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice Airport, Busy environment, Interesting cliental

Cons

Bad management. Almost impossible to qualify for benefit program. False promises.

Learn to value your employes, their experience and include them instead of making everyone feel like there is a constant which hunt. Plan for the cyclical cycle of the calendar. In the slow time plan for the busy, work with week links, don't act surprised when it gets busy. Get a manager that actually "manages". Someone how can build a team, moral, and sales. Not just police corporate polices. This could be an awesome place to work. Lets make it awesome together.

Worst job of my life.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Barista in Newark, DE

I worked at HMSHost part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food every shift. The friends I made at my job. The job itself.

Cons

The managers are just as old as you (20-24) and they completely talk down to you and make you feel way less then a person. I was constantly harassed how I was not needed in the company.

Treat your employees better, become trained, and don't take offense when your baristas know more than you do.

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

Worked for HMSHost? Contribute to the Community!