HMSHost

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at HMSHost part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet all kind of new people every day its cool

Cons

Nothing I loved the job

Work hard

243 Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost (View Most Recent)

PLEASE stay away from HMSHost!!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Allentown, PA

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There definitely aren't any pros. If I could give it negative stars, I would.

Cons

Bad pay, bad management, no sympathy/empathy or concern for their employees, unsanitary food, no training, everything else....

They do not train. I was told how to do the cash register in 30 seconds and then was thrown on one, by myself, and expected to know it perfectly, then I was yelled at because I needed help. Then same thing happened to me in the back while I was making food. I was there for one day and then was put back there by myself and expected to know how to make and cook everything and to know where everything was. They give you instructions ASSUMING you know exactly what they're talking about. Also expected to do the work at other restaurants because they won't schedule people at the proper time.

Some health issues arose after I started working there and they would not work with me and did not care. Even with a doctors note. And fare warning they LOVE to write people up for anything. You will also get written up if you call in sick. Doesn't matter if you're in the hospital with viral meningitis, you have cancer, or someone died or you have a not from the doctor or hospital....they will write you up for calling in sick.

The food is unsanitary for SO many reasons, it's disgusting. You get free lunches but I won't eat there. The pay sucks. There is no management on overnight, only supervisors who don't know what they're doing or don't care. Also, during the summer when it's busy you sometimes won't get a break, even if you're working full-time hours. They discriminate with their breaks. The week I was doing day shift I was forced to take my break two hours after I started my 8 hr shift. And I took it with all my fellow white employees. When I brought the issue up I was told they don't send people on break during the busy lunch hours. HOWEVER, if you looked out into the lobby during those exact hours, EVERY day....who was sitting out there in groups of 10 or more? All of the minorities. I guess they are afraid one of them will complain and yell discrimination....because who discriminates against a white person, right?

I could go on and on but I'm certain this box has a text limit.

Please, save yourself the trouble and the stress and just go somewhere else. The pay isn't worth it, trust me.

Learn your jobs!!! Train your employees. Have a little more sympathy/empathy. Learn how to be more observant of what is ACTUALLY going on around you!

Poor management, little concern for employee well-being

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting locations (I loved working in an airport)
    Meet new people
    Great tips
    Predictable busy and slow times

Cons

Disorganized and undereducated management
    Severe penalties for being the slightest bit short or over
    Atmosphere of untrust
    Required to be part of a union
    Focus on seniority rather than who is actually good at their job
    Petty and uncooperative coworkers

Take a look at who you're hiring as management and middle management, These businesses could be run by people who are actually happy with their jobs rather than forced into feeling overworked and untrusted, but you keep promoting those who take shortcuts and don't care about their employees. Happy and empowered employees are what makes a customer service business (restaurant, coffee shop, retail store) really stand out to customers, and yes it is entirely possible (and maybe even easier) to make a profit and have honest employees when that's your focus.

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost