HMSHost

www.hmshost.com

Consistent service and reliable job.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Hours are rarely cut due to such a high demand for all year around business. Working in one of the world's busiest airport means you will always have a job.

Cons

The Parking situation for employees is Time Consuming because you will have to park at an employee parking lot ten minutes away from the airport. It just adds unnecessary time to your commute to and from home.

Show Appreciation to Employees.

Other reviews for HMSHost

Great company, poor management

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

the company pays for your lunches at work which is always a plus. The opportunity to grow is there

Cons

The management isnt well trained and depending on which course you work it can be a prett y boring job.

TravelMart Sales Associate

Former Employee - TravelMart Sales Associate
    Former Employee - TravelMart Sales Associate

Pros

Valuable experience, friendly workers, good starting job, free lunch, paid training

Cons

During the summer months the plaza was very, very busy. Only two people were ever scheduled in the store at a time so this meant that when shelves needed stocked or one of us went on break, there was just one working. Sometimes we would have two or three buses pull in and have lines wayyy out the door. Something always seemed to be broken in the store as well and I never saw much care from any of the managers to fix things. I had very little training and my managers never seemed to know what was going on. My drawer was messed up multiple times because they screwed up my voids (if a customer no longer wanted an item or we double-rang an item we got a void because we were not allowed to fix this by ourselves). Many times we had to hold up the line because we were not allowed to keep $20s in our drawer or accept a $100 bill without a managers help. The managers were always up at the fast food place and rarely checked on the store. I usually called up to the front two or three times a day for change. Hours were very scattered...sometimes I would get 10 and sometime 35. Always expect to work at least a half hour later than scheduled because at least with my managers, you didn't get pulled from your drawer for 10ish minutes after your shift.

The point system is ridiculous. My second day of work I got a call and my manager was rude and asked if I was coming in for work that I was half an hour late. I told him that I did not work that day. He then asked if I looked at the second schedule and I (not being told about another schedule) said no. I ran into work and got points because no one told me about a schedule. I requested off two times when I worked there, I put in my requests months ahead of time and got scheduled both of them. Each absence was 3 points and once you hit 12 you were fired. The one, I was in Myrtle Beach and called for my schedule. When they told me I worked two of the days I would not be home I told them I had requested off but they insisted that I did not. Luckily they found someone to cover so I did not get points.

My location was off the turnpike, not in an airport like some other places, so we get a lot of truckers. Being a younger female, this was concerning. Many were nice but there were some creepy ones. There are two stores in the back of the plaza but one of them closes early and they only put one employee in the other to cover a closing shift. I closed almost every time I worked and was therefore alone at the back of the plaza. There are not many customers that are in the plaza at 10 and 11 and night so many times it was just a few truckers. As I said, some were nice but we did have to call highway patrol out for one because he was crude and scared me and the girls in Starbucks quite a bit.

This could very well have been just the place I worked at so don't let it deter you.

Train your managers better, don't give a key to someone just because they have seniority.

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost.

Worked for HMSHost? Contribute to the Community!