HMSHost

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

Location is everything.

Former Employee - Fast Food Attendant in Hanover, MD
Former Employee - Fast Food Attendant in Hanover, MD

I worked at HMSHost part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being a travel-related company, they are everywhere. If you become valuable there is less fear of moving. Odds are wherever you go they will have a place for you.

Cons

Location is everything. Some locations have great staff and others are terrible. If you are at the service end of things I would strongly recommend visiting as a patron before accepting. The service you receive tends to be quite indicative of your future work environment. If it's terrible don't expect much.

On hiring: Quantity over quality does not help employee or consumer satisfaction.

242 Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost (View Most Recent)

Work Environment

I have been working at HMSHost

Pros

Great place to work and opportunities for advancement. Field operators have the best opportunity for upward mobility depending on their willingness to relocate.

Cons

Salary not as competitive with long working hours. Non-existent mentorship program

Used to be one of the better places I've worked.

Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Culinary union, a lot of employees have been there for many years, they try to reward employees for good customer service, better pay than most retail/cashier/food positions. Culinary union offers one of the best health insurances in the nation. Overtime is offered usually (when business is good). Annual raises. Opportunities to move into management (management is non union however). Ability to transfer all over the US. Paid lunch. Free parking (airport locations). Pay for your laundry. Ability to move into different job classifications with training (opportunities for fast food, porter, barista, bartender, cook, host, etc.) Good place to gain experience.

Cons

Sometimes feel we are treated like kids and management has to watch and know our every move. Feels like there is a lack of trust between associates and management. Once felt accused of theft by loss/prevention team because my sales and they started asking me questions even though I did not do anything wrong. Some managers like to micro manage. There is a lack of communication on a large scale particularly within management and to the associates.

Act like you at least somewhat trust your associates. Bump up the communication between all management and associates. One manager will say one thing on policies and then another manager will say something different about the same policy. Used to be fun working there several years ago with company parties, fun, upbeat management. Now everything just seems so strict, uptight, a sense of distrust. It's barely tolerable working there 5 days a week now.

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost